Wage: $17.95 – $20.91
Current Location: Kamloops, BC
Employee Group: This position requires Union membership
Current hours per Week: 18 Hours/Week – Tues - Fri. 3 days/week 5 hours + 1 day/week 3 hours
Position Status: Permanent Part-time
Reporting to the Housing Manager, as part of the Housing Team, the Janitor performs routine cleaning and minor maintenance of buildings and grounds.
- Cleans, washes, and disinfects building areas such as walls, windows, ceilings, floor, carpets, air vents, furniture, mattresses, blinds, and washrooms by methods such as dusting, polishing, vacuuming, sweeping, wet mopping, shampooing, waxing, buffing, using various manual and power cleaning equipment.
- Collects and disposes of refuse and maintains clean refuse areas;
- Performs spot clean-ups as required.
- Maintains and cleans parking lots and sidewalks using hand and powered brooms, rakes, shovels, and other equipment to remove dirt, leaves, snow, and other refuse.
- Performs minor gardening tasks such as mowing and trimming the lawn, weeding, and watering.
- Performs minor maintenance on buildings, grounds, furniture, electrical fixtures, and plumbing; such as unplugging sinks and toilets, and replacing tap washers, and light bulbs.
- Sets up furniture for functions and meetings.
- Maintains various logs, key registers, and other records;
- Assists in taking inventory; orders and maintains janitorial supplies.
- Secures the building by arming alarms, and locking doors and windows.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Travels between housing and worksites as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Select and use the appropriate equipment and cleaning tools
- Troubleshoot minor maintenance problems
- Identify an emergency and respond appropriately
- Deal appropriately with a variety of individuals and groups
- Provide services to individuals from diverse backgrounds in a sensitive and reasonable manner
- Work calmly in a crisis
- Work cooperatively with staff and contractors
- Plan, organize, and manage work with minimal supervision
- Take initiative and problem-solve
- Clear understandable written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of WHMIS principles and safety protocols
- Strong time management skills
- Familiarity with technological tools such as cellphones, computers, printers, and building alarm systems.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Grade 10 education
- At least one (1) month of recent related experience
- Or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- A criminal record check and search under the Criminal Record Review Act is required.
- The candidate will be reimbursed for any criminal record check expense upon starting employment.
- A valid Driver’s License and access to a vehicle are required.
- Driving Record check is required.
- This job is a union position and union fees will be deducted from paycheques accordingly.
- A comprehensive benefits package and MPP are included upon completion of a probationary period.
The Kamloops & District Elizabeth Fry Society is a non-profit society providing services to people who are, or could be, criminalized, with an emphasis on the needs of women and families. The society provides education, advocacy, capacity building, and safe, secure, affordable housing within an environment of respect for each person’s right to self-determination and freedom from discrimination. Established in 1984, the Society is a member of the Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry Societies. Staff, volunteers, and the board of directors are committed to compassionate program delivery with community collaboration and respect for diversity. The Elizabeth Fry Society, with skilled and motivated staff and volunteers, provides a fair and equitable work environment focused on health, mutual respect and teamwork.
· This position is open to applicants of all genders, races, ethnic backgrounds, and religious beliefs.
· EFry is committed to being an equal opportunity employer with an employee group that reflects the cultural diversity of the community.
· To apply for this position please submit your resume and cover letter to the address below.
· Only qualified applicants will be invited to an interview.