The bookkeeper works with the Executive Director and the Board Treasurer to manage the Peretz Centre finances. He or she must know how to keep the books in accordance with BC Societies Act regulations and CRA regulations for registered charities.
- The job is for an average of 20 hours a month but may vary, generally fewer hours in summer and more hours at year-end and other busy times.
- Compensation is $1000/month.
- The bookkeeper is hired as an independent contractor who bills the Peretz Centre at the beginning of each month for the previous month’s work.
- The bookkeeper is expected to keep all Peretz Centre financial operations absolutely confidential.
- Experience in a not-for-profit organization is required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bookkeeping certificate from a reputable institution or a combination of training and experience
- Knowledge of Jewish Federation grant cycle, BC Gaming Grant and other grants available to not-for-profits is an asset
- The bookkeeper has the responsibility for maintaining the books, i.e. accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll.
- All accounting transactions must have authorized documentation.
- Following and enforcing the policies of the Peretz Centre Board.
- Meeting all payment deadlines to avoid penalties and interest charges.
- Payroll: Staff is on a semi-monthly payroll basis. Independent contractors are paid on a monthly basis.
- Working with the executive director and treasurer on requests for reports and other bookkeeping requirements.
- Generating monthly financial reports for the Peretz Centre Board and attending the monthly meeting to answer questions.
- Filling out various forms and reporting (CRA, Charities registration, Societies act, etc.)
- Keeping track of tax receiptable payments and donations and issuing tax receipts as required.
- Working with the executive director and treasurer to prepare the Peretz Centre’s annual budget.
- Working with the executive director on budgets and final reports as required for individual programs and grant applications.
- Annual report of year-end financial statements.
- GST rebate and other forms and reports specific to not-for-profits.
- Invoicing as required, e.g. Jewish Film Centre for their share of phone, internet and photocopier.
- Work can be done remotely using your own computer with remote access to the bookkeeper’s on site computer
- Successful candidate should be prepared to be on site approximately 2 days per month