Job Title: Festival Volunteer and HR Coordinator
Reports to: Volunteer Engagement Manager
Duration: Temporary Full time Employment (35 hours per week) July 11-Oct 16, 2022
July 11th- September 2nd, 2022: CSJ Supported role
September 3rd – October 16th, 2020: VIFF Extension
Location: VIFF Centre/Remote
Scope: Vancouver International Film Festival
This position is supported by the Canada Summer Jobs program. To be eligible applicants must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
The Greater Vancouver International Film Festival Society is a not-for-profit cultural organization that operates the internationally acclaimed Vancouver International Film Festival (VIFF) and the Vancity Theatre, located in the VIFF Centre. We produce screenings, talks and events as a catalyst
for a diverse community to discover, discuss and share the creativity and craft of storytelling on screen.
The Greater Vancouver International Film Festival Society is dedicated to accessible employment practices and committed to being an equal-opportunity employer. We value a diverse and inclusive workplace that is reflective of our community and encourage applications from members of communities that have been marginalized based on sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, or status as an Indigenous person. Please feel free to advise us of any accommodation needs.
Reporting to the Volunteer Engagement Manager, the Festival Volunteer Coordinator: The successful candidate for the Festival Volunteer and HR Coordinator position supports and guides the Volunteer Department with the administration of the festival volunteer program, with the goal of leading our festival volunteer team to success. The Volunteer Coordinator will support all activities related to the team of volunteers prior, during, and after the 41st edition of the Vancouver International Film Festival. The community of VIFF volunteers will rely on the Volunteer Coordinator for leadership, support, guidance, clear communication of scheduling and duties, and an overall fruitful experience during this year’s festival.
- Commitment to the principles of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to public speak.
- Highly organized, focused, and able to work within tight deadlines.
- Experience leading diverse teams and maintaining grace under pressure.
- Experience working with volunteers as well as working as a volunteer.
- Demonstrated commitment to the customer service experience.
- Familiarity with scheduling and HR software, Microsoft Office, and communication tools like Slack, Zoom, and Office 365.
- Fan of the arts and experience working for non-profits an asset.
- Support all aspects of the Festival Volunteer recruiting and selection process;
- Coordinate and support volunteer management training and department specific volunteer orientations;
- Develop and manage the Venue Operations Volunteer schedule in collaboration with the Festival Venue Operations team;
- Coordinate and support volunteer package creation and distribution;
- Interview and onboard Venue Operations’ Department Volunteer Team Leads.
- Follow up with staff members to ensure that volunteer reviews are being completed appropriately;
- Working within the established Volunteer Department framework, ensure that required VIFF policies, procedures and processes are communicated effectively;
- Administrate volunteer dispute resolution processes and VIFF progressive management processes
- Support the creation and distribution of the volunteer newsletter;
- Collaborate with the Customer Service team to schedule and support the Volunteer Helpline Team.
- Communicate challenges encountered with the Volunteer Engagement Manager;
- Create and distribute approved hiring documents for seasonal staff;
- Ensure all hiring documents are received and filed and keep the HR drive up-to-date and complete as needed;
- Send documentation to hiring managers as needed.
- Support with planning and on the day operations of all Volunteer Appreciation events;
- Attend operational meetings as required;
- Assist various departments with last-minute volunteer scheduling requests;
- Regularly visit festival venues; be visible to staff members and volunteers.
- Submit a final report that includes feedback from volunteers, feedback from staff members, successes, challenges, and suggestions for improvement.
- Orientations are completed effectively and on time;
- Volunteer Engagement Manager feels supported;
- Venue Operations Volunteer schedule is published on time;
- Balanced day-to-day schedule of Venue Operations Volunteers at venues for the duration of the festival;
- High percentage of Venue Operations volunteer reviews is accomplished.