WHO WE ARE
Are you a Kitchen and food service Professional looking to make an impact in your community? Do you have endless optimism, ready to move and create change in the community? Through the vision to eliminate poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, Bissell Centre’s work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. Our community comes from all walks of life and so do we.
Through our programs we work to empower people from meeting their own basic daily needs to having sustainable livelihoods, secure housing, and feeling hope for the future and make plans for a prosperous life. By joining Bissell Centre, you will become part of a fast-paced and dedicated team that works together to realize our vision.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for an individual wanting to join the Bissell Centre Community Meals & Food Services team. Are you ready to be our Casual Kitchen Relief and make an impact in our community?
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Casual Kitchen Relief, Community Meals & Food Services, is responsible for supporting the kitchen management team in maintaining a high standard of cleanliness, organization and operational efficiency within the kitchen and other service areas. The expectation is that the Kitchen Relief will act as a support position and focus primarily on food packaging, organization of food stuffs and supply, workstation cleanliness and maintenance, and the loading/unloading of donations and stock-away processes.
WHAT IS THE ROLE
Duties and Responsibilities
Kitchen Operations, Customer Service and Maintenance
General and Administrative
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE ROLE
Qualifications & Commitment to Values
Formal Education and Experience
This position works closely with community participants who are experiencing complex life situations. As such, this position requires a calm and empathetic demeanor with the ability to de-escalate conflict and intense situations with clear and effective communication methods.
Ability to spend frequent periods of time standing and frequent periods of time moving, bending, and lifting. It is a frequent requirement to stoop or lift material, fixtures or equipment and climb ladders. Employees must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50lbs.
Ability to work in a kitchen environment with varying temperatures and frequent exposure to a variety of food ingredients, grease, and other potential allergens.
Flexibility of the working week is inherent in this position as the workload fluctuates. Flexibility to work a combination of evenings, weekdays, weekends, and statutory holidays is required.
The Employee should demonstrate strong competency in the following:
• Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the mission, vision, and core values of Bissell Centre.
• Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
• Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen, and write in a clear, thorough, and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Service Focus: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of participants and the community to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
• Foster Teamwork: Foster, sustain and role model productive team management practices, and contribute to a positive team environment. Share expertise and knowledge to support, coach and develop others.
• Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency, and risks, and make clear decisions that are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
• Stay Organized: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information, and activities.
• Plan Proactively: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create, and implement action plans, and evaluate the processes and results.
• Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
• Adapt to Change: Personal capacity to adapt to change, lead competently through change, and make strategic adjustments to address changing needs.
• Self-Motivate: Capable of demonstrating independence and entrepreneurialism.
• Work SMART: Create goals that are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time Bound.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter to:
Head Chef, Community meals & Food services
Application Deadline: June 24th, 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, Bissell Centre continues to take action to protect person served and staff. Strategies related to Bissell Centre’s response to COVID-19 are driven by the guiding principle of taking all reasonable precautions and measures to protect the health and safety of both persons served and staff. In keeping with this intentional purpose, COVID-19 full vaccination is a condition of employment for new hires, except due to legitimate, established exceptions.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!