Cameray Child and Family Services is a community-based agency committed to the strengthening of individuals and families through a spectrum of services including counselling, education, outreach and advocacy. Cameray Child and Family Services has provided specialized counselling services to children, youth, and families in Burnaby and New Westminster since 1972. All of our services are offered free of charge.
Child and Family Counsellor
- 2 Temporary positions at 35 hours a week until March 31, 2023 OR June 2023
- To provide long and short term counselling to children and their families
- To work two evenings until 7:00 pm
Key Responsibility Area – Counselling With Children, Parents and Families
- To function as part of a clinical team
- To work with children using play/art therapy
- To provide information and education regarding child development, including sexual and emotional development
- To facilitate counselling groups
Key Responsibility Area – Referral, Information and Consultation
- To provide occasional crisis intervention to clients
- To liaise with other agencies/professionals regarding clients for purposes of consultation or referral
Key Responsibility Area – Community Liaison/Advocacy
- To advocate for and to co-ordinate client services with other agencies and professionals
- To collaborate with MCFD Social Workers on client goals/programs, such as ICM’s as required
Key Responsibility Area – Administration
- Develop an appropriate treatment plan in conjunction with the client and conduct regular reviews of the treatment process
- Maintain client files, recording client visits and key information, prepare client progress reports
- Complete all required data collection, including clinical stats
- Submit time sheets and other information as required
- Prepare education handout for parents, clients and community
Key Responsibility Area – Professional Development
- Keep abreast of development in the fields of sexual abuse and trauma counselling
- Attend specified workshops and conferences
- Network with colleagues and other professionals in the field
- M.S.W. or M.A. /M.Ed./Psychology
- Minimum of two years clinical experience, including work with children and families
- Training and experience in play therapy techniques, sexual abuse counselling and individual and family counselling
- In depth knowledge of child development and sexual abuse dynamics
- Knowledge of child protection and legal systems
- Crisis intervention skills
- Competence and comfort in working with diversity
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a professional team
- Drivers License
- This position is covered under a collective agreement, salary range is $37.66 - $46.15/hr.
- Cameray recognizes the systemic discrimination that Black, Indigenous, Persons of Colour and many other groups have historically experienced, and continue to face in our society, and in our community. We are committed to being an inclusive, welcoming and unbiased employer and service provider, and we are encouraging members of these communities to apply for this position. Please feel free to let us know if you carry any of these identities.
- Successful applicants are subject to a criminal record check. Notarized copy of degree(s) certification required.
- Must have access to a reliable car.
After the probationary period, the successful candidate will be eligible for 100% employer paid benefits, professional development funds, and pre-approved Self Care days. Cameray participates in Municipal Pension Plan