The Senior Manager, Events & Logistics is a key leadership role within the Hospitality & Events department at Evergreen. A team-player who prioritizes collaboration and customer service, the Senior Manager, Events & Logistics plays a critical role in the day-to-day delivery of the 300+ events that happen at Evergreen Brickworks each year.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We’ve worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
Evergreen Brick Works is one of Toronto’s most sought-after reception and event facilities. Nestled in Toronto’s lush ravines in a setting of awe-inspiring heritage buildings, Evergreen Brick Works offers a truly unique setting for events. Our spaces offer various capacities, from an intimate gathering in the BMO Atrium to a 2,000-person standing reception in the Pavilions or CRH Gallery.
About the Role:
The Senior Manager, Events & Logistics, helps to lead a team of event professionals to ensure the seamless planning and execution of the wide variety of events that happen at Evergreen Brick Works, ranging from large weddings to intimate family celebrations and major corporate conferences. Acting as a point of contact for a portfolio of events, while also ensuring the smooth functioning of logistics and staffing across the Hospitality & Events team, this Senior Manager leads by example and ensures standards of excellence in event delivery are met.
The unique nature of Evergreen Brick Works requires constant communication across departments to ensure third-party events can run seamlessly, and often concurrently, with Evergreen programming happening on site; the Senior Manager, Events & Logistics demonstrates exceptional collaboration, planning and problem-solving skills in helping to make this happen.
- Manage a portfolio of Evergreen and third-party events including the planning, execution and customer care, working creatively with clients to help ensure desired outcomes for event are achieved
- Provide leadership on staffing and logistical planning for all events, providing support and coaching to Event Managers and other team members
- Ensure proper inventory management across department
- Work collaboratively and ensure accurate and timely information flow across departments and to external parties in order to ensure excellence in event delivery
- Execute on Evergreen's marketing and business strategy for events
- Collaborate with the Hospitality & Events team to define, implement, measure and improve the end-to-end service standards of the department as they apply to clients, internal partners and suppliers
- Provide leadership and training on Evergreen's hospitality vision, including protocols, guidelines and event procedures
- Assist in the preparation of annual department targets and budgets
- Help ensure that strategic financial decisions are made on event negotiations and agreements
- Ensure accurate financial monitoring, controlling and reporting and event management policies and procedures by working with Evergreen's finance team
- Build and maintain relationships with existing and prospective clients and event suppliers
- Liaise with operational departments and external partners and suppliers to ensure events are delivered and executed according to Evergreen's standards
- Ensure that events are executed in a safe, orderly and disciplined manner in accordance with Evergreen's policies and Health & Safety standards
- Mentor others and take an active role in their professional development
- Contribute to positive workplace culture and great internal communication
- Model Evergreen’s core values of sustainability, innovation and connection
You excel in the following areas:
- Leadership. Mobilize and build strong teams. Lead by example. Inspire others to achieve.
- People management. Clarify performance expectations. Provide mentorship, guidance and personal/professional development support to others. Recognize strengths & accomplishments of others in a meaningful way. Provide constructive guidance while allowing independence and creating opportunities for growth.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Analytical/Decision Making/Problem Solving skills. Draw insightful conclusions from information. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of Evergreen.
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details do not slip through the cracks.
- Collaboration. Employ generosity of spirit when working across lines.
You have the following qualifications:
- A post-secondary diploma or certificate in hospitality or event planning management
- 5+ years of experience in managing high-end events, including catering management
- 2+ years of experience with team management and leadership
- Demonstrated ability to positively manage client and vendor relationships
- Experience with managing an operating budget
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Smart Serve certification
- First-aid/CPR and/or Food Handler certification is an asset
- Experience with Caterease is an asset
- Supervised by: Director, Hospitality & Events
- Supervises: Event Managers, Event Coordinators, Event Execution Team
- Position is based out of Evergreen's head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto
- Office environment (flexible) during regular working hours, as well as onsite on weekends and evenings
- Able to stand for extended periods of time
- Able to participate in event execution including repetitive tasks and some lifting
- Permanent, full-time
- Target Hire Rate: $75,000 - $80,000
- Employer-paid health and dental benefits package, 3 weeks paid vacation, 3 Evergreen Days and your birthday off, and professional development opportunities.
Application Close Date: June 29th, 2022. Please note we will be screening applications as they are received. This posting may be closed earlier than the application deadline if a successful candidate is identified before the closing date.
*Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position.*