Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Provides support and services to women and gender non-binary individuals in life transition residing in housing at the YWCA Hamilton Transitional Living. Supports include crisis intervention, supportive counselling, referral advocacy, goal planning, programming and group facilitation to meet the needs of women in crisis.
- Assists in the operation of day to day shelter needs and working collaboratively with women to facilitate a plan to safe and effective independence;
- Conducts intake meetings and assessments of clients/residents to identify client needs, provides information and referrals in the areas of housing, health, employment, education,
- social assistance matters, and counselling;
- Maintains appropriate record keeping and reporting in accordance with YWCA Hamilton policies and procedures, and department specific procedures;
- Provides reports and updates to Program Management when required;
- Communicates, advocates and collaborates with community agencies (e.g. courts, legal services, housing) to provide resources and referrals to clients/residents;
- Works with clients/residents individually and/or in groups to improve social and living skills by providing regular programming (e.g. goal setting, safety plans, planning);
- Works within general rules, procedures and standards, referring issues or problems to supervisor;
- Provides crisis intervention and counselling support;
- Participates in case conference meetings and case management development;
- Provides light housekeeping (preparing room for occupancy and clean units as clients move out, laundry) and serves prepared food to residents;
- Maintains high level of confidentiality when working with sensitive and personal client, employee and contract information;
- Provides front line desk support including safety and security for Transitional Living building during evening and weekend hours;
- Understands emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards;
- Provides recommendations to strengthen existing policies and/or processes;
- Nurtures and forms meaningful internal and external working relationships and partnerships;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Works a15-29-hour work week; rotating shifts (days, afternoons, evenings, nights) – weekday and/or weekend;
- Regularly works in emotional charged situations requiring resolution;
- Work environment may be hostile or violent at times;
- Two staff members work at Transitional Living per shift.
- Completion of 2 years college in social work or human services or equivalent;
- 1 to 3 years’ experience working with telephone and in person crisis management;
- Experience working with women with multiple barriers and concurrent disorders (mental health, addiction, violence);
- Experience working with newcomer women;
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Knowledge of harm reduction strategies and training in administering naloxone an asset;
- Must be able to work from a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective;
- Ability to work rotating shifts (days, afternoons, evenings) on weekdays and/or weekends;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset;
- Food Handlers certification an asset;
- Knowledge of social housing and in community resources.
YWork for us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to: https://easyapply.co/a/30a9010e-97fe-450f-97b6-9ed93965698b
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton.
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are women, First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, LGBTQ2S+; individuals with disAbilities; and individuals from racialized communities or other marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: All applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.