Job Description for St. Thomas-Elgin Local Immigration Partnership
Position: Communication Coordinator
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Closing date: July 4, 2022
Start date: mid-July
Wage: Range of $22.95 - $23.50 with Benefits
Hours: Full Time 32.5 Hours per week
The position will be located at the YWCA St. Thomas-Elgin reporting to the STELIP Project Manager and be advised by the St. Thomas-Elgin Local Immigration Partnership Council. The Communication Coordinator will foster community relationships and manage the communication of STELIP. They will keep current on information and trends to identify and strengthen the local capacity to improve the economic, social, and civic participation of all newcomers. Through social and other media channels the facilitator will reach out to stakeholders, businesses, and the public to promote STELIP initiatives and build an awareness of the value newcomers bring to Elgin County and St. Thomas.
- Communication Skills (Written, Verbal)
- Team Work
- Time Management
- Planning and Organizing
- Adaptability/ Flexibility
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Decision Making and Judgement
- Accountability and Dependability
- Development and Continual Learning
- Intercultural Competency
- Ethics and Integrity
- Post-secondary education in Communications, Social Justice, or Social Sciences or relevant
- Understand social and economic
- Understand issues relating to settlement in smaller, rural communities
- Understand and appreciate cultural diversity and intercultural
- Knowledge of federal, provincial, and municipal social
- Excellent writing and editing skills, strong English language skills
- Computer skills in word processing, presentation software, design software, and website design.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, and interpersonal
- Demonstrated history of community
- Existing familiarity with the Thomas-Elgin region preferred.
In collaboration with the Manager:
- Consistent with the local needs and the research results, support the development and implementation of the strategic actions.
- Manage social media platforms and coordinate campaigns to align with the initiatives and strategic plans.
- Manage and update the website.
- Develop communication materials including key messages, posters, social media posts, presentations, notifications, and FAQs.
- Regularly evaluate the effectiveness of the social media engagement, communication materials and branding and implement necessary adjustments.
- Write and circulate the STELIP quarterly newsletter.
- Prepare and submit minutes for meetings.
- Write, edit, and finalize narrative reports of the Council and Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
- Maintain and further develop the STELIP Council consisting of community stakeholders who are committed to community cooperation and advocacy.
- Collaborate and facilitate the development and implementation of community events and initiatives.
- Keep current on the local, national, and international immigration trends, economic opportunities for newcomers, and settlement supports.