Since 1984, Ecuhome has provided housing and support to people who have been chronically homeless and are considered hard to house. Ecuhome owns, operates, and provides support to 58 shared houses, 5 apartment buildings, and a 59 unit rooming house in central Toronto, provides support to 91 tenants in a building operated by another housing provider, and manages and provides tenant support to a 24 unit family building developed under the Affordable Housing Program.
Director of Tenant Services
Ecuhome Corporation provides quality affordable housing and support for people who have experienced homelessness. We reflect the diversity of our city, recognize, and respect the values of all people, and empowers tenants to regain their place in the community. We provide our tenants with the foundation for the life of their choosing, starting with an affordable home they can be proud of and can count on. We then work with tenants to lay the foundation for life skills that foster independence and confidence, meaningful activities, a sense of purpose and belonging, and a greater resilience to weather the challenges that face everyone – especially those living in poverty.
You will bring your leadership experience in Social Services to support our strategy in achieving further positive changes for those who have faced homelessness. Your previous experience in the non-profit sector is a strength that allows you to bring previous learnings to new challenges. You enjoy supporting and developing your employees and their teams.
The Director of Tenant Services is responsible for:
- Directing the delivery of programs and services to tenants within the available budget and ensuring these services meet Ecuhome’s quality standards, are in compliance with applicable legislative and funder requirements. and are consistently delivered across the organization.
- Overseeing the hiring and retention process for tenant services staff and ensuring that performance standards are in place and that staff are regularly evaluated in relation to those standards.
- Monitoring staff performance and ensuring that work is done within the provisions of the Collective Agreement.
- Managing and overseeing training for reporting staff. Building employees’ current knowledge, and future training /investment to deepen knowledge.
- Working as a key member of Ecuhome’s management team to collectively achieve organizational goals, including coordination with Director of Properties & Maintenance and the Director of Finance & Administration.
- Developing and implementing an annual work plan for housing and tenancy support in keeping with a changing environment and evolving needs and identifying current and future needs of tenants.
- Monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the organization’s services to tenants. Identifying and leading change as required.
- Ensuring operation within the available budget and in keeping with Ecuhome’s policies and procedures, the Collective Agreement and legislative and funder requirements.
- Participating and providing input in Labour-Management meetings.
- Providing direction and support for RGI (rent geared to income) appeals and review.
- Reporting on tenant services to the Executive Director, Board and funders as required.
- Representing Ecuhome to tenants, neighbors, community partners, other service agencies and the community-at-large. Developing partnerships to enhance the quality and scope of services available to tenants.
- Continuously improving professional knowledge and social services issues and trends.
- Monitoring these trends and ensuring that those which impact the lives of tenants, and their service needs are considered as services which are planned for and implemented by Ecuhome.
- Completing relevant information and providing input for RFPs.
- Representing Ecuhome at partnership tables throughout the city.
More specific responsibilities include:
- Ensuring programs and spending are meeting the needs of our tenants.
- Developing, implementing and evaluating tenancy support strategies.
- Ensuring mechanisms are in place to engage tenants, obtain their feedback, and provide advice through leadership and communication.
- Guiding and supporting reporting staff with problem solving and meeting challenges.
- Ensuring compliance with Ecuhome policies and standards.
- Directing the overall strategy of the tenant support team and building & developing reporting employee skills.
- Building a cohesive tenant support team with a consistent framework to maximize opportunities for effective collaboration across the organization.
- Working collaboratively with senior management to achieve organizational goals.
Our successful candidate will have the following qualifications and values…
- Five years of experience with increasing responsibility in Social Services management, overseeing staff and directing organizational improvements
- Completion of post-secondary education in Social Services or an alternate relevant program
- Ability to take initiative and apply creativity to this key role in the organization
- Broad knowledge of social housing, providing services to people who are homeless, the social service system in Toronto, and a practical understanding of relevant legislation
- Experience with the City’s RGI guidelines
- Experience with labour - management relations
- Demonstrated leadership and team building skills, along with strong decision-making ability
- Demonstrated excellence in communication with the ability to inspire and motivate others
- Proven ability to achieve results and desired outcomes by driving internal and external partnerships for organizational change
- Strong administrative ability including data gathering, analysis and reporting competency
- Proficiency using MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and ERP databases (i.e. NetSuite)
- Believes in the importance of non-profit organizations to the community and the value of social justice
- Positively influences others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization
- Understands ethical behaviour and business practices and ensures own behaviour is consistent with Ecuhome’s Code of Conduct and aligns with the values of the organization
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization
- Speaks, listens and writes in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
- Anticipates, understands, and responds to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters
- Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Assesses situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and makes clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization
- Sets priorities, develops a work schedule, monitors progress in achieving goals, and tracks details, data, information and activities
- Determines strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluates the process and results
- Assesses problem situations to identify causes, gathers and processes relevant information, generates possible solutions, and makes recommendations and/or resolves the problem
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Downtown Toronto
Status: Permanent Full-time
Benefits: Life/ADD, LTD, Extended Health, Dental, Vision, and a pension savings program with matching
Anticipated start date: on or about August 22, 2022
Ecuhome is committed to providing equal access to employment opportunities, promoting equal access to our programs, supports and services and identifying and removing any internal, systemic barriers to inclusion in all Ecuhome operatio