A world free of the effects of diabetes is our vision. That’s why we’re working together to improve the quality of life of people living with diabetes. We’re sharing knowledge and creating connections for individuals and the health-care professionals who care for them; advocating through public policy; and funding research to improve treatments and find a cure to end diabetes.
Diabetes Canada is a dynamic organization, recognizing the value of and rewarding diversity of thought, allowing us to attract high performance talent that enjoys working with colleagues exhibiting high performance behaviours.
Join our dedicated, talented Diabetes Canada team and together, #LetsEndDiabetes!
Reporting to the Executive Director, Finance, the Senior Manager, Accounting leads 4 accounting team members. This is an opportunity to develop an understanding of the full Diabetes Canada business model, supporting all business functions through efficient payments processing and accurate data recording in the financial accounts. We are currently evaluating our processes with an eye to minimizing nonvalue added work, in order to leverage the information and knowledge that resides within our very capable accounting and finance teams. This position is critical to helping the organization move towards the strategic goal of a high-performance culture and will provide opportunities for development of the successful candidate in a manner that will prepare them for more senior roles in their career.
Location: 1300-522 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario. Flexible work agreement policy in place allows employees to work on a hybrid schedule, working remote and with 1-2 days per week in-office.
Key Responsibilities of the role include:
- Leadership of a team of four, ensuring effective performance management, goal setting and development.
- Efficient and effective month end closing of the financial records, including administrative management of the accounting system.
- Ownership of well documented working papers in support of the annual audited Financial Statements.
- Oversight of all payment processes, in line with the Delegation of Authority Policy, ensuring that processes are best practice and support the organization effectively.
- Key liaison with our commercial bank, ensuring that we are optimizing the use of the online platform for cash management and payments processing.
- Oversight of the integration of our CRM with our accounting platform, to ensure that we optimize the information capture, and minimize the manual effort.
- Management of all regulatory responsibilities including GST/HST/PST remittances and reporting, T3010 reporting, T4A reporting for suppliers, and any other governmental reporting required from time to time.
- Leadership of various audits, being the key point of liaison with the audit team and ensuring timely delivery of all audit requirements.
- Collaboration with the payroll team to ensure that information is transferred to the accounting records in an effective manner, and reconciling balances are followed up on a timely basis.
- Collaboration with the Financial Planning team to ensure that all required information is provided and received on a timely basis and new processes are put into place to capture data for new revenue/expense streams.
- Support of the forecasting and budgeting processes with respect to cash flow and interest forecasting.
- Support ED Finance and Senior VP of Finance and Business Operations with the management of the investment policy, endowments accounting, and oversight of designated/restricted donations.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of relevant accounting standards (ASNPO) as the subject matter expert, ensuring that Diabetes Canada effectively plans for emerging requirements.
- Drafting of accounting policies in line with Diabetes Canada business operations and ASNPO.
- Supporting business colleagues in the development of new data capture processes to meet emerging business opportunities.
- Partnering with sister company National Diabetes Trust to ensure and efficient sharing of information and reconciliation of accounts.
- Understanding of key business contracts to ensure that appropriate accounting policies are developed and followed for all material revenue streams.
- Focus on simplification of all data flows, processes, and requirements from the organization, while maintaining well controlled and appropriately segregated responsibilities of staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Our Ideal Candidate
- CPA, with public accounting firm experience
- 3 to 5 years of managing and coaching direct reports
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management and priority management skills
- Proactive in approach, and solutions oriented
- Ability to remain calm under pressure while providing clear direction to staff
- Proven ability to work effectively in a cross functional team
- Tenacious curiosity, and courageous spirit in looking at things differently
- Strong computer literacy, with solid skills in excel, word, power point, outlook
- Previous experience with nonprofit entities an asset
- Previous experience with Unit 4 accounting system an asset
What Diabetes Canada Can Offer You
- A meaningful role, making a difference every day for people living with or at risk of diabetes.
- An entrepreneurial environment, working for a national organization where you feel valued, recognized and rewarded.
- A high-performing, collaborative team environment with proven leadership and highly skilled colleagues and commitment to excellent work culture.
- Competitive paid time-off benefits and a comprehensive group benefits plan, including health/dental, life insurance, disability, employee assistance program and company-match Pension/RRSP.
About the Application Process
- Go to the webpage: https://www.diabetes.ca/careers and click on “View Job Openings”
- You will be required to complete a very brief questionnaire and submit your résumé and covering letter.
- If you experience any issues with the application process, please contact us at: DCHR@diabetes.ca
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada and, where applicable, must have a valid work permit or study permit that allows the candidate to fulfill the requirements of the role.
- Diabetes Canada welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, including women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities. We value a diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve.
- We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise us during the recruitment process.
- We thank all interested applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Safe Place to Work - Diabetes Canada is committed to protecting the health and safety of our stakeholders and mitigating the risk of COVID-19 spread. A mandatory COVID-19 vaccination program is in place and provides direction on the conditions under which individuals are permitted to be employed with DC.