Request for Proposals: Instructional Designer, FAST
The Immigrant Employment Council of BC (IEC-BC) facilitates the integration of skilled newcomers into Canada’s workforce by connecting employers with the talent they need. As a champion of employers, we foster solutions, build connections, and are a catalyst for employer success.
IEC-BC works directly with employers, industry, and sectoral organizations to develop innovative solutions, tools and resources that support employers in integrating skilled immigrants into the Canadian workforce and empower newcomers with relevant tools to boost employment outcomes.
A program of IEC-BC, Facilitating Access to Skilled Talent (FAST) is a free online tool to support immigrants’ career preparation and facilitate a competency assessment based on industry of interest. FAST helps immigrants better prepare to enter the labour market in positions that make full use of their skills by overcoming employment barriers like international credential recognition and a lack of Canadian work experience.
FAST is currently available for six in-demand industry streams: Accounting, Biotechnology and Life Sciences, Culinary Arts, IT and Data Services, Skilled Trades, and the newly launched Seniors Care stream.
Statement of Purpose
A primary goal for the FAST program this fiscal year is to improve user experience and increase completion rates of the educational components that complement the industry-specific competency assessments. Last year, the Prepare for Work in Canada educational module was revised and updated leveraging the course authoring tool, Articulate 360, to enhance user experience and make the content more dynamic and engaging. Based on the positive feedback from stakeholders, other components of the FAST program would benefit from review, revision, and development.
In addition to revising current FAST program content, the new FAST Seniors Care stream and the New Brunswick iteration of the FAST program feature new content that will require new curriculum development. The complex and substantive learning content will need to be created into learning modules that are engaging and accessible to skilled immigrant participants with an English language proficiency of CLB 5+. This includes the development of digestible content, interactive e-learning components and multimedia materials (e.g. videos, audio recordings, images, games) to increase user engagement and program completion.
1.2 Contract Scope
IEC-BC is requesting proposals from experienced instructional designers to review and update current program content and develop new program components:
-Prepare for Work in Seniors Care
-Navigating Regulated Professions in Seniors Care
-Embracing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Workplace
-Prepare for Work in the IT Sector
The successful proponent will work with and be responsible to the FAST program team in fulfilling the work requirements of this RFP:
1. Comprehensive Content Audit and Improvements
The consultant(s) will complete a thorough review of the content provided by FAST employer partners and subject matter experts (SMEs) to design an e-learning curriculum aligned with industry standards. This includes content revisions according to users’ language proficiency and tech-accessibility, and based on feedback from the working group, will follow implementing required changes and improvements to the course content.
2. Content Development and E-Learning Design
In collaboration with the FAST team and SMEs, the consultant(s) will develop online learning content and design e-learning modules that include activities, (new) videos, quizzes, and additional content to build engaging online materials that are easy to navigate for users in the platform. This includes using the course authoring tool, Articulate 360, to produce content consistent with the current FAST learning modules.
3. Finalization and Testing
Upon approval from the FAST team and SMEs, the consultant(s) will finalize the content for uploading and testing in the FAST LMS platform. After user testing and feedback, required changes and modifications to the content will be implemented before project completion.
1.3 Contract Deliverables
The successful consultant will develop a cohesive online learning plan to be used in the FAST online modules.
The work will include (and will not be limited to) the following deliverables:
1. Full content audit of the FAST modules, recommendations for improvements and implementation of approved recommendations.
2. Creation and implementation of an e-learning framework aligned with SMEs and project team objectives to deliver complex learning content.
3. Design e-learning components for engaging and accessible content
4. Finalized content for use in the FAST platform, in system-compatible format (i.e. SCORM, xAPI)
5. Other related tasks as may be required throughout the duration of the project
1.4 Proposed Timeline
The following timelines are anticipated by IEC-BC:
June 9, 2022 - Issue RFP
June 17, 2022 - Proponents’ Call
July 6, 2022 - Proposal Close
July 20, 2022 - Contract Start date
August 31, 2022 - Content Audit & Improvements – Completion
September 30, 2022 - Creation & Implementation of New e-Learning Modules, Seniors Care Stream
December 15, 2022 - Creation & Implementation of New e-Learning Modules, IT Stream
December 15, 2022 - Contract Closing Date
All deliverables associated with this contract will need to be completed on or before December 15, 2022.
This RFP is open to qualified contractors/consultants from across Canada, provided that the successful proponent(s) are available to deliver all required deliverables.
The budget for this project is not to exceed $75,000.
2. Proposal Submission
2.1 Proponent(s) Requirements
1. Demonstrated experience in developing online learning content for immigrant and/or adult learner audiences
2. Demonstrated experience designing, developing, and implementing learning materials based on the deliverables set out in section 1.3 (including written and multimedia content)
3. Demonstrated understanding of education and instructional design
4. Understanding of and experience in applying best practices in online learning
5. Knowledge of immigrant integration and/or workforce development strategies is an asset
6. Demonstrated experience working with diverse stakeholders
7. Ability to complete projects on time and on budget
8. Fully bilingual proponents will receive extra consideration.
2.2 Proposal Format
Evaluation of proposals is made easier when Proponents respond in a similar manner. The following format and sequence should be followed to provide consistency in Proponent response and ensure each proposal receives full consideration.
All pages should be consecutively numbered and follow the evaluation criteria.
2.3 Content of Proposals
Proposals must demonstrate that the bidder can meet all “Proponent(s) Requirements” listed above, including:
1. Information about the qualifications of the consultants, including subcontractors (if any) who will be working on the project and descriptions of their experience with similar projects.
2. A work plan that includes specific activities, timelines, milestones, and deliverables.
3. A budget that itemizes and justifies the cost of the services. The budget must specify professional fees and attribute them to activities and individuals, indicating hourly or daily rates (daily rates must indicate the number of hours in a proposed workday).
4. Two client references, including email addresses and telephone numbers. By providing this information, the bidder gives IEC-BC permission to contact these references.
Proposals are not to exceed 8 pages including appendices and other attachments, excluding a cover page and table of contents. All proposals must be submitted electronically as a PDF document.
A proponents’ call is scheduled on Friday, June 17th at 11:00am PT. Participation in the call is not mandatory but is open to all interested proponents. Video call instructions will be sent following your RSVP.
Send proposals and direct all communication related to this RFP by email to: Iona Santos-Fresnoza at by the proposal deadline of July 6, 2022 at 4:00pm PT. Submissions received after this date will not be considered.
Please refer to this link for the complete RFP: https://iecbc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Final_RFP-FAST-Instructional-Designer.pdf
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!