JOB POSTING #2022-54-05
Archway Urban Farm
Wage: $16 per hour
Part Time, 30 hours per week for 8 weeks
Temporary: July - September 2022
Part of the Canada Summer Jobs Program
Farm and Harvest Vegetable and Fruit Crops for Market
Join the team at Archway
Come Help Us Help People
Location: Abbotsford, BC
The Farm Assistant reports to the Crop Production Supervisor and the Market Manager. The Assistant works to ensure the Urban Farm has adequate volume and variety of crops available for weekly sales, and participates as Market Assistant. The work varies from week to week and can be physically demanding—a combination of walking, bending, standing for long periods of time, lifting, and repetitive activities.
Archway’s Farm Assistant with Archway’s Urban Farm contributes by:
- Working with the vegetable and fruit crops by preparing beds, seeding, transplanting, watering, fertilizing, harvesting, etc.
- Managing the watering schedule.
- Preparing and packaging the crops to sell at the Market.
- Assisting with workshops and volunteer groups
This position is a great fit for someone who likes physical outdoor work with crops, farming and gardening. Also, it is a great fit for someone who has attention to detail, is well organized, methodical, and precise in day-to-day tasks, observations, and communications.
- Wage: $16.00 per hour
- Part-time position; must be willing to work some shifts and weekends
- Temporary throughout the summer July to September 2022
- Build your experience in garden maintenance and crop production.
- Rewarding work in a positive environment
Getting an Interview
- This position is provided in partnership with Canada Summer Jobs. Eligible applicants MUST:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment;
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Working towards a high school or secondary school diploma or degree.
- 1 year post secondary in Agriculture or Sciences is preferred.
- Some sales and customer service experience.
- One season of outdoor work, or participation in school-based gardening or field work.
- Experience with gardening, garden equipment, usage of garden machinery & materials is preferred.
- Be able to provide own transportation to the Farmer’s Market.
The Job Requires you to:
- Have a valid BC driver’s license with clean driving record.
- Be able to provide your own transportation to the Farmer’s Market for sales events, as needed.
- Be prepared to work outside daily in any weather.
- Be available to work mutually agreed upon shifts including weekends.
- Be willing to take on physical labour related to garden maintenance & crop production.
- A satisfactory Criminal Records Check is a condition of employment.
- Up to date Tetanus vaccine is recommended
- COVID vaccine is recommended.