Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We have worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
For more than 10 years, the Evergreen Farmers Market has supported the health of individuals, communities, and the environment by showcasing local growers and sustainable practices. Over the past decade, the Public Markets program has expanded to include exciting offerings like the Sunday Vintage Market and Summer Wednesdays. The Program Officer (Public) Markets plays a critical role in the ongoing planning and execution of Evergreen’s Public Markets Program. A multi-tasker, with an ability to work collaboratively within and across teams, this Program Officer ensures a welcoming and enjoyable market experience for all visitors.
With a can-do attitude, and the experience to know when to work independently and when to seek the guidance of others, this Program Officer maintains program excellence and helps to ensure Evergreen’s Public Markets programming achieves maximum mission impact. Success in this role requires excellent project management and budgeting skills, combined with a people-centered approach that focuses on building long-lasting and positive relationships with vendors and market goers. Within this role there is a high degree of public and third-party interaction, and on-site presence at Evergreen Brick Works will regularly be required. It is a great opportunity for someone who loves connecting with people, food and nature!
- Work with Program Manager to track activities throughout the project lifecycle, including scheduling, documentation, budgeting and expenses
- Work with Program Manager to plan all project timelines, milestones, deliverables, using the appropriate software tools and applicable project management methods
- Monitor progress of projects and work with others to adjust plans as needed
- Work collaboratively across the organization to help find all opportunities for alignment and partnership
- Help develop communication plans and partnership opportunities
- Conduct internal and/or external stakeholder meetings to solicit feedback, input and communicate expectations
- Plan and facilitate regular meetings to monitor project progress, track updates and changes, and ensure the right information is shared with those who need it
- Work with Program Manager to create contingency plans to mitigate risk
- Produce regular status reports on the progress of projects, solving problems strategically, recommending solutions and engaging others as required
- Share experiences and help generate lessons learned as programs are evaluated
- Continuously look for new ways to deliver projects for greater mission impact enhanced diversity, equity and inclusion, and greater alignment with organizational values
- Bring forward ideas for new programs or the evolution of existing programs
- Facilitate on-the-ground programming
- Facilitate volunteer participation within programs and ensure a positive and impactful volunteer experience
- Where required, assist with the coordination of on-site logistics at Evergreen Brick Works to ensure smooth program delivery
- May help coordinate scheduling for staff or volunteers
- Demonstrate a commitment to good internal communications and positive workplace culture
- Model Evergreen’s core values of sustainability, innovation and connection
You excel in the following areas:
- Planning/Organization/Project Management. Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals and focus on priorities, create/implement action plans/budgets, document, evaluate, learn.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Collaboration. Employ generosity of spirit when working across lines.
- Innovation. Build new opportunities. Resourceful in the face of challenges. Focused on solutions. Prioritize learning and growth.
You have the following qualifications:
- 3-5 years’ relevant experience
- Knowledge of, and curiosity about, intersectional approach to food systems, sustainable farming practices, and circular economic structures
- Demonstrated success in project delivery and execution
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications, especially Excel, PowerPoint and Project Management Software and collaboration platforms such as Smartsheet, Asana or others
- Familiarity with design thinking models, software and approaches (an asset)
- Supervised by: Program Manager
- May provide some supervision to volunteers
- Position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto
- Remote and office environment, with on the ground presence as required
- Regular office hours are flexible, but schedule will include regular weekend work and some holidays and/or evenings
- Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: At Evergreen we are committed to doing what we can to keep our employees, volunteers, and visitors safe and healthy during the current pandemic. We believe that an important part of this effort is to ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For more information, please see our COVID-19 Guide.
- Permanent, full time
- Target Hire Rate: $50,000 - $55, 000 annually
- Employer-paid health and dental benefits package, 3 weeks paid vacation, 3 Evergreen Days and your birthday off, and professional development opportunities.
Application Close Date: July 10th, 2022
*Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position.*