The Burnaby Neighbourhood House is a volunteer driven community based social service agency that provides a wide range of programs and services in response to identified community needs.
This position requires positive, energetic people who are a high school student returning to high school or full-time university/college in September. Program leaders are responsible for implementing Daycamp activities with the team leaders. Under the direction of the team leaders, the program leaders will also be responsible for supervising 10 children and provide a safe and welcoming atmosphere for participants. Program leaders will have the opportunity to work with all ages and different team leaders throughout the summer.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promotes Neighbourhood House program integration philosophy by ensuring programs have the opportunities to interconnect and achieve client integration across program areas.
- to assist the supervisor in planning and implementing a summer program for ages 6-12
- to supervise participants on weekly out trips
- to assist the supervisor in planning theme days
- to work within budget limits
- to work with volunteers
- to talk with parents/caregivers on a regular basis
- to ensure participants are involved in a safe summer program
- to ask and receive feedback from Senior leaders
- to assist in the end of the summer day camp clean up
- Knowledge and awareness of issues surrounding diversity and multiculturalism.
- A high level of functional spoken and written English skills sufficient to ensure successful communication with staff, children and parents
- Completion of Early Childhood Educator Certificate, School-Aged Childcare Certificate, Recreation Leadership Diploma or Child and Youth Care Diploma.
- 2-3 years of experience providing care and mature guidance to school-aged children in a daycare or recreational setting.
- 1-2 years supervising and supporting staff.
- Current 1st Aid and CPR certification.
- Current criminal record check.
- Documented compliance with BC’s immunization and tuberculosis control programs.
- Documentation of COVID-19 double vaccination.
- Experience in administration and management in a community based non-profit.
- Class 4 Driver’s License an asset
- Leadership, Administration and Management in Child Care (http://www.vcc.ca/programscourses/program-areas/human-services/leadership- administration-and-management/)
- Current Level 1 Foodsafe certificate or Food Safety Certificate (http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/protect/food-safety-module/files/home.htm)
- Healthy Eating in Child Care Setting Certificate (https://learninghub.phsa.ca/Courses/6820/healthy-eating-in-the-childcare-setting-division- of-responsibility-model)
- Anaphylaxis in Child Care Setting Certificate (http://www.allergyaware.ca/)
- High 5 – PHCD Certificate (http://www.bcrpa.bc.ca/recreation_parks/recreation/high_five/overview.htm)
- Early Learning Framework Certificate (http://ocr.openschool.bc.ca/course/index.php?categoryid=6)
- Connecting with Families Certificate (http://ocr.openschool.bc.ca/course/index.php?categoryid=6)
- 2nd language an asset
Summer Camp Coordinator
Hours of Work:
Program Leaders work 35 hours during a typical work week. Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 3:30pm.
Starting wage is $18.59. 4% holiday pay will be added to pay for seasonal employment.
Positions start: June 27th 2022
Position Ending: August 19th 2022
Location: North Burnaby