Save the Children Canada is a member of Save the Children International, a federation that works in more than 120 countries worldwide delivering programs focused on health and nutrition, education, child protection, child poverty, humanitarian response, and child rights governance. As the world's leading independent organization for children, Save the Children’s vision is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. We live our values every day– Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity.
The Writer, Philanthropy & Partnerships will play a strategic role in delivering Save the Children’s mission supporting our global impact and contributing to our work in Canada in collaboration with the National Reconciliation Program (NRP), and Indigenous partners. The position will help drive success in the Philanthropy & Partnerships team by developing compelling proposals, impact reports, grant applications, and an integrated mix of strategic donor communications for individual donors, foundations and corporations.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Philanthropy & Partnerships Communications
Working with the Senior Manager, Strategic Partnerships, fundraising portfolio managers, and other relevant business development and program staff to coordinate and support proposal development, solicitation and stewardship processes. This includes:
- Acting as the lead writer for proposals for major donors, corporations, foundations, and as required, institutional.
- Development of and accountability to work back schedules (proposal development lifecycle).
- Create compelling reports that clearly and effectively articulate the impact of the corporation/foundation/major donor’s contribution.
- Develop, coordinate and provide technical advice on an array of print and electronic communications that support all stages of the donor-cycle.
- Ensure communications products (proposals, reports, correspondence, etc.) are error-free, adhere to guidelines and are in alignment with Save the Children’s strategic priorities.
- As required, the management of external vendors to develop creative content.
Information and Document Management
- Maintain grant calendars and track submissions and results. Coordinate with fundraising portfolio managers on moves management processes as it relates to proposals/solicitations and stewardship reports.
- Develop and maintain a library of Philanthropy and Partnerships communications products (e.g. proposals, bespoke materials, impact reports, etc.).
- Coordinate with Direct Marketing, Communications, the Global Media Unit, the Global Creative Content Unit, and other relevant parties on sourcing/ sharing content used to support Philanthropy & Partnerships teams in Canada and throughout Save the Children’s global network.
Funding Agreements and Other Tasks
- Support the portfolio managers in reviewing agreements to ensure compliance with grant management guidelines and donor requirements.
- Stay current on private donor landscape, evolving trends and best practices.
- Performing other tasks as required.
Qualifications & Competencies (include but are not limited to):
- Post secondary education in Communication, Marketing or Journalism and 3 years experience in grant writing and fundraising; or a combination of comparable experiences.
- Demonstrated track record in developing successful proposals for private donors at the six and seven figures level.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, and CRMs such as Salesforce or Raisers Edge.
- Ability to understand and synthesize technical information into clear, concise and impactful donor communications.
- Creative and innovative; able to identify and develop new opportunities and adapt to changing situations.
- A critical thinker with experience or interest in decolonization and reconciliation.
- Works in an explicit and self-aware manner that enables them to manage and express emotions and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically.
- A skilled organizer with excellent time management abilities, strong attention to detail and able to multi-task.
- Adhere to Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding policy and protocols.
- Police check vulnerable sector screening.
(This position is covered under CUPE Bargaining Unit - Band 4)
Salary Range: $52,972 - $66,215