Edmonton Meals on Wheels is a local non-profit agency that provides home-delivered meals, other food services and social connections to a diverse mix of people. We’re well-known for our exceptional food services and creative, innovative strategies that engage the community in various events, partnerships and volunteer opportunities. We are looking for a DAILY MEAL COOK to support our mission of providing nutritious meals which provide health, wellbeing independence for Edmontonians.
Under general supervision of the Floor Supervisor or Production Manager, the Daily Meals Cook is responsible for all aspects of daily food production (including texture-modified, diets and preferences) for either the frozen or the chilled meal program, lunch club or other events or programs as requested. The includes quality cooking, and portion control, adjusting recipes or developing as needed, sanitation, food safety, temperature controls and minimizing waste. The Daily Meal Cook shall plan the production of items so that volunteers are maximized, work is efficient, and all items are available as needed.
- Food Quality – is committed to producing high-quality, tasty food items. Ensures items are well seasoned, appropriately cooked for texture, taste and are visually appealing. Makes suggestions about recipes and adjusts with input from the Manager or Supervisor
- Waste Control – Ensures the quantity cooked is the quantity required to minimize the accumulation of leftovers. Adjust recipes accordingly. Leftovers are dated, chilled and stored appropriately and used (FIFO) in a timely manner. Ensures donations are used appropriately. Is responsible for minimizing waste to the Manager or Supervisor.
- Managing Production – Determines production and grocery needs for all items to be made. Must be able to predict quantity needed for all production. Ensures meal items are produced in a timely manner.
- Managing Packaging Lines – Is responsible for the set-up, organizing, and replenishing all items on the packaging line. Also sets out the necessary items, supplies and other resources as needed. Follows meal preparation and packaging guidelines including but not limited to ensuring accuracy of number of items prepared and/or packaged. Sets up, trains and monitors and supports volunteers.
- Organizing and cleaning specified areas as well as less-obvious areas each day and follows cleaning schedules
- Dresses appropriately for the kitchen and adheres to the EMOW dress code.
- Performs opening and closing procedures and completed appropriate checklists
- Other duties as assigned
Scheduled Hours of Employment
- Monday to Friday 5:45am – 1:45pm pm excluding statutory holidays
- Clear Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Search
- Demonstrates Food Safety Standards at all times
- Positive, reliable and professional team player with a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Ability to crouch, bend, walk, push, pull and lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work as a team with a focus on customer service and quality cooking
- Understanding of diversity and able to work cooperatively with a diverse volunteer and staff pool
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English
You will Enjoy
- Experiencing first-hand the difference you make in the community
- Really making a difference in the lives of people who can no longer access healthy nutrition