BGC South Coast BC (BGC) has opportunities for work in our programs at Club locations from
Vancouver to Langley.
At BGC, we believe that every kid is amazing. And we know that by seeing and hearing them, they will believe it too! To kids, their Club feels like a place where they can hang out with friends, and make some new ones, but it is so much more than that. It’s a safe place that provides them with three of the things that they need most: a sense of belonging, a sense of success, and positive relationships.
Activity Leaders are people who believe in kids and want to help them achieve their full potential. They are people who are studying a diverse range of disciplines, from teachers and social workers to nurses and emergency services. Activity leaders develop strong, caring, relationships with the children and youth in the Clubs, while leading fun and engaging programs. They provide mentorship, guidance, and support, as kids build confidence, develop leadership skills, make healthy choices, and increase the likelihood that they will finish school.
About the Position
Reporting to the Club Coordinator, Activity Leaders plan, develop, and implement recreational, social, and/or educational activities for children/youth who visit Club programs. Activity Leaders strive to create a fun and enjoyable atmosphere in order to encourage client participation in programs.
- Help to ensure that the social/recreational needs of the children and families who visit the Club are met.
- Lead programs that follow BGC program standards, guidelines, and policies.
- May participate in the development of individual plans for participants as needed.
- Encourage and facilitate the participation of individuals in the program by creating a fun and enjoyable atmosphere in order to enhance the program’s appeal to participants.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of new trends in activities programming.
- Maintain awareness of any problems (medical, behavioural, or other) experienced by participants and informs the Coordinator or Assistant Coordinator as applicable.
- Maintain appropriate records and statistics and ensures that all required documentation is accurate and complete (e.g., incident reports, daily log sheets, member systems, etc.).
- Model appropriate behaviour and dress appropriately for the specific program needs.
- Recognize volunteer rights and supports and cooperates with volunteers in the programs.
- Inform the Coordinator or Assistant Coordinator as applicable of any problems or concerns regarding participants, Jr. Leaders, Volunteers, etc.
- Adhere to program policies, procedures, child protection procedures, and other protocols from training and team meetings.
- Attend scheduled staff meetings and training sessions.
- Ensure that the facility is safe and clean during all activities and that supplies, etc. are put away after programs.
- Cooperate and work with the Club services staff in carrying out safety/emergency procedures.
- May be assigned to lead specialized programs or do one-to-one work as appropriate.
- Other related duties as required.
- Clear Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector).
- Post-secondary training/courses in recreation or a related field.
- Experience working with groups of children in a social recreational setting and in planning activities.
- Willingness to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings.
- Valid Child Care First Aid (8 hr. course) and CPR certification (must be obtained within 3 months).
- Second language and experience working with culturally diverse people are assets.
- Excellent interpersonal behaviour and communication skills.
- Proven organization and time management skills (must be able to be on time for all shifts).
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a larger team.
- Minimum nineteen years of age.
What we Offer
- Starting wage of $17 an hour
- Fun working environment and team-based approach
- On-the-job training
- Employee Assistance program
- 5 days paid sick leave per year
- Flexible schedules
BGC has opportunities at the following Clubs:
- Fraserview Club – South Vancouver (7595 Victoria Drive)
- Kimount Club – East Vancouver (395 East 6th Avenue)
- Kivan Club – East Vancouver (2875 St. George Street)
- Norvan Club – North Vancouver (800 Forsman Avenue)
- North Burnaby Club – North Burnaby (518 Howard Avenue)
- Langley Club – Langley (5409A 206th Street)
- Surrey Club – Surrey (10135 132nd Street)
- Hillside Club – North Delta (11339 84th Avenue)
- Wintemute Club – Ladner (4727 Arthur Drive)
- Winskill Club – Tsawwassen (5555 9th Avenue)
- Richmond Club – Richmond (12091 Cambie Road)
Thank you in advance to all persons who apply for this position. Please note that only those selected for interview will be contacted.
BGC recognizes the value and importance of building and sustaining a culturally diverse environment and commits to intentional efforts to reflect that (along with our values) in all that we do. BGC has always been committed to diversity, and we believe that articulating our commitment to it in this way will support the ongoing evolution of this in our work going forward.