Reporting to the Manager of Internal Audit, the Senior Internal Auditor is responsible to plan and execute audits in accordance with the university’s risk-based audit plan, and to conduct investigations in accordance with The Queen’s University Fraud Policy and Procedure. The Senior Internal Auditor evaluates strategic, operational, financial, information technology, and internal control systems to provide recommendation to mitigate business risk, enhancing efficiency, and increase effectiveness.
• Working collaboratively within a team to plan projects, including identifying risks, objectives, scope, and audit procedures.
• Working collaboratively in a team to manage projects, including maintaining project schedules, communicating project status, developing strategies to mitigate project delays and ensuring that specified project deadlines are met.
• Building relationships across the university in order to gather information about emerging risks, understands the culture of the institution, knows which internal employee to connect with to obtain information required for projects.
• Organizing, preparing materials and conducting interviews of university stakeholders.
• Discerning and documenting both financial and non-financial processes and controls, including preparing detailed narratives and flowcharting.
• Reading, understanding, and assessing university policies and procedures, as well applicable government regulations.
• Leveraging software tools to analyze, sample and conclude on data sets.
• Executing audit programs by preparing well documented, highly organized working papers.
• Documenting the findings of audit procedures and developing recommendations.
• Communicating Internal Audit plans, requests and audit findings in writing to stakeholders around the university.
• A university degree.
• A relevant professional designation/certification (i.e. Charted Professional Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Information Systems Auditor, Certified Fraud Examiner), or willingness to obtain.
• Several years of relevant professional experience.
• Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Respects diversity and promotes equity and inclusion in the workplace.
• Ability to identify and solve problems.
• Excellent judgment and ethical decision-making skills in order to evaluate audit findings. This includes being tactful, objective, fair, impartial and flexible without compromising standards.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a team and across functional groups, as well as can work independently.
• Excellent communications skills (verbal and written), with the ability to build rapport quickly with a diverse group of individuals.
• Highly organized and disciplined, with the ability to control a demanding schedule of conflicting priorities and deadlines.
• Ability to maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word office suite, including advanced Excel skills.
• Ability to adapt to change.
• Exercises professional judgement to make decisions in a timely manner.
• Determining the significant risks in functions/units/processes in conjunction with the Audit Manager, as required, and establishing the best engagement approach to ensure that the scope and objectives accurately reflect the key risks.
• Assessing operational, financial and information system processes and determining objective and constructive recommendations to findings that add value to the organization while also being flexible enough to meet the objectives of the unit.
• Set priorities and organize schedule as appropriate.
• Respond to enquiries and find solutions to unanticipated problems within guidelines.
• Determine the relevant content of documents required to perform engagements.
• Determine the appropriate level of data analysis required for assignments.
• Determine content for initial draft reports.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!