Data. Discovery. Better Health.
ICES is a world-leading health research and analytics institute. With a wealth of data and analytic expertise, we create trusted evidence that has changed health policy and practice and helps ensure better health for all.
Ready to discover more with us? Join our outstanding, collaborative team where your skills, knowledge and curiosity are valued and can change the future of health care.
At ICES, we recognize what matters most to our employees. Some of the great benefits of working at ICES include:
- Flexible remote work arrangements anywhere in Ontario
- Competitive Compensation
- Comprehensive Benefits Program
- HOOPP Pension Plan (Defined Pension)
- Employee Assistance Program and Dialogue Well Being Program
- Generous vacation, float and caregiver days for all employees
- Education Fund and Dedicated Education Days
- Holiday Closure
- Perkopolis Employee Discount Program
ICES is currently seeking a highly motivated Director, Information Technology (IT) to join our Technology department. Reporting to the Senior Director, Information Technology, Finance and Corporate Projects the Director, IT will be responsible for all IT strategies including system infrastructure, application development and corporate and research data systems. As a senior leader, Director, IT will also be responsible for communicating IT strategies and initiatives to key stakeholders including the Executive and business partners
Responsibilities of the position include, but may not be limited to:
1. Manages the IT Department ensuring the delivery of IT services to meet business needs:
- Articulates the goals and vision for IT and ensures alignment of IT strategy and organizational business strategy;
- Works in collaboration with key stakeholders to translate their needs into technical solutions and ensures overall performance;
- Develops and manages IT budgets and resource allocation to ensure adequate resources for the successful delivery of IT strategy and initiatives;
- Ensures optimal deployment, allocation and disposal of IT assets;
- Defines how the information, application and technology will support all critical business functions if the primary production capabilities are disrupted;
- Develops policies, standards processes and procedures to ensure the compliance with IPC Manual and industry best practices.
2. Provides technical and operational leadership:
- Develops long-term plan and roadmap for use of technologies across the organization and manages processes to ensure alignment;
- Defines target architecture and technology standards (e.g., platforms, tools, development frameworks) across the organization;
- Identifies emerging technologies and methodologies that could benefit the organization;
- Works collaboratively with Security and Privacy to ensure risks are mitigated;
- Manages IT-related communications to the organization, executives, business stakeholders and external partners.
3. Provides oversight and guidance to day–to–day operations:
- Ensures Helpdesk service level agreements are met;
- Oversees application development lifecycle to ensure the applicant solution meets prescribed requirements and is in accordance with operational quality standards;
- Oversee the design and implementation of systems and infrastructure;
- Ensures data access, archiving and storage resources to meet capacity requirements and upgrades;
- Establishes and manages configuration process, updates and changes made to hardware and software;
- Manages, reviews, remedies and reports on the system performance and availability;
- Ensures efficient and standardized methods are used for handling changes to minimize risks.
4. Manages all aspects of staff performance, coaching and mentorship
- Attracts and retains quality staff through effective and efficient staff recruitment, development and performance management process;
- Ensures staff performance objectives are clearly defined and objectively evaluated;
- Ensures staff capabilities and skills are continuously developed through training, education and mentorship opportunities.
5. Manages IT suppliers and vendor relationships:
- Identifies technical and business requirement for RFPs establishes evaluation criteria for acquisitions to ensure acquired technology selected meets operational and strategic business needs;
- Works with procurement staff to plan and execute procurement of technology goods and services for the organization;
- Manages overall relationships with vendors providing services to IT;
- Monitors adherence to vendor management policies and procedures;
- Establishes vendor of record where possible.
6. Other duties as may be assigned within the scope of this position.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related filed required; Master’s Degree in computer Science or related field is preferred;
- IT industry certification required such as MCSA/MCSE, SCSA, RHCE, ITIL, PMP, and CCNA/CCNE;
- At least 8years of progressive management experience in Information Technology, information Management or Information Systems role;
- Demonstrated managerial skills in managing a team and leadership abilities required;
- Strong ability to provide mentorship and guidance with the goal to achieve optimum results and maintain high morale and job performance;
- Demonstrated understanding of enterprise-wide multi-platform operating system security, network security, application security and database security;
- An understanding of PHIPA is essential and must be well versed in regulatory compliance issues with regards to PHIPA;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a capability to communicate technical issues to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences;
- Experience with business planning, budgets and sourcing and procurement practices;
- Comfortable with decision making in complex situations and seeking approval when required;
- Ability to multi-task; works accurately and effectively under pressure, meets deadlines, and remains composed in high-pressure situations;
- Strong problem solving skills;
- Experience in a research/health services environment an asset.
Security clearance may be required.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter detailing how their knowledge, skills and abilities match the scope of this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working at ICES. Due to the volume of applications received, only applicants being considered for the position will be contacted for further discussions.
ICES is committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Applicants are asked to make accommodation requests to ICES and we will make every effort to ensure that accommodation requests are met throughout the recruitment process.