Reporting to Food Services Coordinator, the Cook will be responsible for preparing and cooking nutritional meal programs for the building residents. He/She/They prepares assigned menu items, follows all proper food storage, preparation and sanitation procedures, and maintains proper log documentation of the kitchen.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Prepares and serves nutritious meals consistent with food regulations and established policies, procedures and best practices.
- Follows the menu and recipes assigned for the week. Plans to ensure that food items that need to be cooked are ready at the time of preparation.
- Follows portion control standards and addresses dietary restrictions as required.
- Sets up the food preparation line and the food serving line using the proper tools, equipment and food placement.
- Cleans, sanitizes and maintains cleanliness of work areas and all kitchen equipment. Performs daily dishwashing, sweeping, mopping and deep cleaning duties in the kitchen as needed. Follows proper opening, closing and cleaning procedures in the kitchen, including adherence to WHMIS guidelines.
- Prevents the waste of ingredients through proper storage in designated areas, which includes labelling, dating and rotating food items following FIFO (first in, first out) procedures. Monitors the food temperature and food storage areas.
- Maintains all proper documentation of kitchen areas, including daily cooler and dishwasher temperature logs.
- Performs other related duties that do not affect the nature of the job, including participating on project task teams or assisting with special assignments