Family Services of Peel (FSP) is a progressive, multi-service Agency offering a dynamic work environment and culture. Are you interested in working at an organization that is committed to excellence and adds value to the community? We offer competitive compensation, professional development and training, and opportunities for advancement. Peel has a highly diverse and rapidly growing population of more than one million people and includes Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon. Applications are currently being accepted for two (2) full-time (35-hours/week) temporary (to March 2024) Occupational Co-ordinators for the Agency’s Apprenticeship Program.
Promote the hiring of new, first-year Red Seal apprentices in the 39 identified Construction and Manufacturing Red Seal skilled trades among Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) in the Greater Toronto Area, with a focus on equity-deserving groups. Provide information to increase integration by awareness and knowledge, motivation, steering, introducing the benefits of choosing careers in the skilled trades, and the viability of career choices and clarify how to access the programs.
- Recruit, orient, connect and direct new RED SEAL skilled trades candidates to apprenticeship opportunities in the manufacturing and construction sectors
- Provide resources/information/workshops/presentations by sector representatives (manufacturing/construction), Unions and employers in order to bring awareness to Industry occupations and description insights into the job market; safety legislation and regulations; essential skills for 39 Red Seal skilled trades occupations; information on workplace culture, communication, teamwork and initiative
- Assist with career launch in skilled trades and provide resources, tools, protective equipment and information to support new apprentices
- Enhance basic competencies and essential skills through assessment/early detection and identifying skills requirements, increase knowledge, address deficiencies to fill gaps
- Provide on-going job/apprenticeship maintenance/retention coaching and mentorship.
- Conduct consultations/needs assessments with clients to identify their needs
- Provide assistance with training essentials
- Provide clients with appropriate resources and information
- Administer assessments to determine client interests, aptitudes, abilities and employment path
- Develop, facilitate and coordinate workshops and information sessions for clients and promote services available at Family Services of Peel and within the community
- Participate in job fairs and hiring events internally and within the community
- Support clients and monitor at appropriate intervals
- Assess apprentices’ need for additional supports
- Conduct follow-ups and record outcomes
- Liaise with Program Manager, Family Services of Peel staff, employers, and government and community agencies to facilitate progress
- Input and maintain internal and external databases (in accordance with funding requirements) in accordance with established timeline
- Complete case notes and update SMEs’ and apprentices’ files in accordance with established timeline
- Prepare monthly and statistical reports
- Coordinate and monitor support services for clients based on funding requirements
- Facilitate collection of employment documentation and complete evaluations
- Contribute to the development of client forms and service delivery documentation
- Participate in outreach activities and represent the Agency on committees
- Develop and facilitate community engagement activities for community stakeholders
- Assist with the development of promotional material and communications to SMEs and apprentices
- Assist with the development of a marketing and outreach strategy to support apprentice placement and employment, as required
- Foster relationships with SMEs working with apprentices
- Conduct cold calls, as needed
- Assist in organizing information sessions, networking, professional development and employment-related activities for SMEs and apprentices
- Monitor work placements of apprentices
- Market and recruit through community initiatives
- Participate in team meetings and provides input and ideas for improving services
- Contribute to team assignments and projects
- Share in handling workload for positive results
- Work collaboratively and effectively with all members of the Apprenticeship Program
- Maintain the strictest confidence for all matters related to work in the Agency in accordance with relevant agency policy and practice
- Participate in orientation and training of new employees or students
- Monitor requirements and upgrades knowledge and skills for client service
- Perform other duties as assigned, for Team or Agency
- Degree or diploma specializing in apprenticeship training, employment program management or a related field, combined with 2 years paid work experience in a similar environment
- Experience in working with staff and clients from diverse backgrounds
- Strong networking skills and knowledge of employers in a range of sectors
- Excellent networking, presentation, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated experience in sales, building partnerships, innovation, coaching and facilitating change
- Extensive knowledge of the Canadian labour market, Canadian workplace practices, job search strategies and techniques
- Proven ability to work in a performance-based system with a solid record of accomplishment in meeting targets and outcomes
- Demonstrated knowledge in labour market, trends, sector skill gaps, and occupational requirements
- Demonstrated cultural competency; ability to work with diverse populations; understanding of immigrants, women and under/unemployed individuals; familiarity with gender equity issues and anti-racism strategies
- Superior written and verbal command of the English language
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and knowledge of privacy legislation
- Proven ability to work in changing environment, multi-tasking ability and time management skills
- Ability to work independently, as well as work collaboratively and effectively with all team members
- Strong computer skills (MS Office, internet, database management) and familiarity with social media
- As there may be a remote component to this job, the ability to work from home consisting of a safe and private home office setting and the necessary technical equipment and high-speed Internet access for remote work
- Familiarity with virtual work platforms
- Flexibility to work from a variety of locations
- A valid Ontario driver’s license, clean driving record, appropriate insurance, and daily access to a reliable vehicle
- Additional language(s) an asset
- Flexibility to work days/evenings/week-ends
We thank all applicants however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
NO TELEPHONE CALLS PLEASE
Family Services of Peel is committed to developing a staff team that reflects the community in which we work, and the people we serve. Family Services of Peel is dedicated to building an inclusive community with a shared purpose, and we strive to represent the values of respect, collaboration and diversity. We have a strong commitment to employment equity and follow this commitment throughout our recruitment and selection process.
Family Services of Peel is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We especially welcome applications from Indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, women, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+. We also encourage applications from persons with disabilities, and will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all the stages of the recruitment and selection process. All information that is received in regards to accommodations will be kept confidential.
We acknowledge the Haudenosaunee, Anishinabek, and Huron Wendat Indigenous territories, covered by ‘Treaty 13’, also known as the Toronto Purchase. We recognize and deeply appreciate their historic connection to this place.
An equal opportunity employer, it is Family Services of Peel’s policy to recruit and select applicants for employment solely on the basis of qualifications. In accordance with privacy legislation, by submitting your application you are providing your consent for the recruiter to conduct employment references.
As a member of this dynamic Agency, staff will be asked to undertake and lead special assignments. This may include participation in fundraising, strategic planning, and other related activities which contribute to the continuous transformation of Family Services of Peel.
Family Services of Peel is a community-based Agency that works to strengthen families, couples and individuals through counselling, education and support services. To ensure the highest standards of service for our clients, our staff are experienced and qualified professionals who reflect the richness of our diverse community. Our Counsellors adhere to the Code of Ethics of the Counselling and Social Work profession. We invite you to visit our website to learn more about our Agency and our range of programs and services at www.fspeel.org