It’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shepherds of Good Hope!
Shepherds of Good Hope (SGH) is one of the largest not-for-profit organizations dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals experiencing homeless and vulnerably-housed individuals in the city of Ottawa. Many individuals who access our programs and services live with trauma, mental health challenges and addictions. A leader in supportive housing and harm-reduction, Shepherds of Good Hope provides around-the-clock, comprehensive services to all genders in multiple locations across the city. By offering innovative programs and services in a non-judgmental environment, we are creating a community for all through acceptance, compassion and care.
Shepherds of Good Hope is meeting the needs of marginalized people in our community, while building hope for the future.
With 7 supportive housing, shelter and community programming locations across the city and 113 new units in development, Shepherds of Good Hope is transforming lives and needs YOU to be a part of it!
As an employee, you’ll get a chance to get to know our dynamic and innovative programs on a schedule that works for you. You’ll get access to our internal full time and part time permanent positions with many opportunities for skills development and advancement.
Whether you’re looking to gain valuable knowledge and skills before taking your next step, give back to your community, or want to make Shepherds your career, there is a place for you here!
- Hard Working
- Empathetic and Respectful
- Open Minded
- A Fast Learner
- A Good Listener and Communicator
- A Team Player
- Far more than a shelter and soup kitchen
- A leader in harm reduction programming
- A growing supportive housing provider
- A mini hospital (it’s true- right in our shelter building!)
- A strong community partner
- An innovative and progressive organization
- A caring and supportive employer
- A diverse and dynamic staff team
- We Invest in Our People!
We Can Offer You:
- $17.89 starting
- $0.50 increases every 6 months (dependent on number of hours worked)
- Employee and Family Assistance Program for all employees, including casual
- Opportunities for advancement- our organization is growing rapidly with frequent openings for case management, coordinator, management and other leadership positions.
- Support to develop your skills- SGH employees have access to an array of internal and external trainings, conferences and professional development opportunities
- An unionized environment with strong advocates for you. All non-leadership positions, including casual employees, are unionized.
- An Experience Like No Other!
What You’ll Be Doing:
The Maintenance Worker will be working within a group of 7 maintenance staff responsible for performing routine maintenance and repairs on SGH buildings, under the general direction of the Manager, Facilities Services. Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Installation and dry wall repair, mudding, taping, patching, sanding, and painting · Door, window, and glass installation and replacement
- Steel stud framing and drop ceiling installations
- Minor plumbing: routine washroom and kitchen maintenance
- Exterior building maintenance
- Ceramic and vinyl tile repairs and installations
- Additional duties as required
- You may encounter people in crisis, under the influence and with complex issues
- You may be required to perform duties such as the cleaning and sanitizing of bodily fluids and disposal of safe injection materials
What We Need from You:
- Minimum of grade 10 required, or a combination of technical training and experience in the field of building maintenance labour.
- Experience and knowledge in plumbing, carpentry, drywall, framing, and painting.
- Experience working with contractors and assisting them when present.
- Ability to work in the presence of clients and communicate with them appropriately.
- Ability to prioritize workload and execute work-orders in a timely fashion.
- Comfortable using hand/power tools as well as rented equipment.
- Able to take necessary actions in minor emergency situations.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English.
- Ability to meet physical demands of walking, climbing, standing, bending, carrying material, equipment and tools and lifting various items with a weight of more than 50 lbs.
- Technical ability to use computers, smart phones, and tablets.
For successful candidates:
- A recent vulnerable sector check completed at maximum 3 months prior to employment offer.
- Health and Safety Training completed during onboarding and updated annually.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is an essential requirement of all positions at Shepherds of Good Hope. Fully vaccinated is defined as having received a full series of a COVID-19 vaccine or combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by Health Canada (e.g., two doses of a two-dose vaccine series, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series), and having received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days earlier. SGH will consider the possibility of accommodating any applicant who cannot be fully vaccinated for valid medical reasons.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Shepherds of Good Hope is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are responsive to the diverse needs of our service users, residents, staff and volunteers, including those with disabilities. Please inform us if you require any accommodations through the hiring process and we will be happy to work with you to meet your needs.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $17.89 per hour
Masks, gowns, shields and gloves for staff. Masks for service users. Increase cleaning and sanitizing. Daily COVID symptom screening.