SCBC, THE CHURCH
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese and Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
Please visit our website at www.scbc.com.
The Communication Officer is responsible for developing and implementing effective communications strategies in support of the mission and vision of SCBC through various media both within the church community and externally to the community. He/she will work collaboratively with church staff and ministry leaders to execute high-quality and high-impact communications that unify and align everyday messaging with the church’s voice, goals and priorities.
Communication Planning & Execution
- Develop strategies and systems to organize and prioritize for communicating the church’s vison, programs, and activities to the congregation and the external community.
- Lead efforts to design all art and promotional materials related to church-wide and ministry specific activities with a high standard of creativity, excellence and effectiveness.
- Monitor the look, vibe, and feel of all communication materials representing SCBC
- In collaboration with church and ministry leaders, develop and/or oversee processes and communication tools for various programs and weekly announcements to reach appropriate audiences in a timely manner.
- Capture and share stories of life change and impact.
- Measure and report engagement across various communication platforms.
- Cultivate, lead and manage a team of communication ministry volunteers (artists, designers, writers, photographers, etc.)
- Assist in creating and maintaining a positive relationship with local media
- Support and effectively administer Communications budget.
- Participate in staff meetings, retreats and other events as needed.
Digital Communication & Social Media
- Lead all efforts related to the creation, strategy, and execution of SCBC’s digital communication channels.
- Oversee the creation, maintenance and updates of the website and serves as the Webmaster. Monitor and analyze website stats, performance, functionality, layouts and features.
- Oversee social media messaging and communication strategies. Creatively build followings on various social media outlets.
- Investigate new innovative ways to engage SCBC members with each other and with the church so as to promote inter-congregational and inter-generational understanding, support, synergy, and unity.
Capabilities and Characteristics
- Mature and growing faith in Jesus Christ, godly character, a strong commitment and calling to serve the local church.
- Knowledge and experience with software programs such as Adobe CS6 (especially Photoshop, Fireworks, Flash, Illustrator and InDesign), and other web modules (e.g. Google Suite).
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, desktop publication, and graphics and media software programs.
- Knowledge and expertise with website management: WordPress.
- Strong creativity and design skills in creating marketing assets/materials; attention to detail.
- A visionary with a contagious spirit to see how SCBC can be concise, clear and creative in communications.
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- A collaborator, problem-solver, and leader.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; able to manage multiple projects.
- A self-starter and self-motivated with the ability to make decisions independent of supervision.
- Demonstrates the ability to adapt to rapidly changing situations. Abreast with current creative, communications and technological trends.
- Must demonstrate a high level of trust and have the ability to protect the reputation and integrity of others through strict confidentiality.
- Budget and vendor management experience.
- Assent to the Statement of Faith, purpose and mission of SCBC and to comply with Baptist faith and practices
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- Degree in marketing, communications, media or related field.
- Minimum 3 years working as a graphic design/communications/marketing professional in a fast-pace environment.
- Excellent communicator (both written and orally) in English and Chinese.
As staff of SCBC need to have frequent contacts with the congregants and others in the community, all applicants must declare their COVID vaccination status in their application cover letters—whether they have been fully or partially vaccinated. If offered conditional employment with SCBC, all candidates must provide proof of their COVID full vaccination before the employment start date. If candidates request COVID vaccination accommodation based on medical or other valid reasons, such requests will be considered by the Search Committee.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted by a Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.