SCBC the Church
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese and Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
Please visit our website at www.scbc.com.
The Administration Manager focuses on overseeing the day-to-day ministry-centred administrative and operational functions of the church assuring optimal productivity and regulatory compliance. The Administration Manager provides leadership oversight to all internal operations including but not limited to the Finance, Property Management, Human Resources and Administration functions of the church.
This position takes direction from and provides ongoing support to the Senior Pastor, the Chair of the Board of Directors, the Deacons Board, the Administration Team and the HR Committee. The Administration Manager reports to the Chair of the Administration Ministry Team.
- Financial Management, Reporting & Analysis
- Work with the Treasurer and Internal Auditor to ensure sound financial management and stewardship of church finances and assets by monitoring budget variances and implementing internal control procedures
- Prepare under the direction of the Treasurer and Chairs of the Administration Team and Board of Directors monthly financial statements, annual income and expense budgets, tax claims, tax returns and other statutory filings
- Coordinate and provide support to the external auditor for preparation of the annual audited financial statements, and to rectify and reported deficiencies and implement any recommendations as required
- Work with ministry leaders to oversee the procurement and purchasing activities of the church
- Maintain an inventory of the church property, equipment and assets
- Supervise and support subordinates responsible for bookkeeping duties
- Property Management & Upkeep
- Maintain adequate levels of property insurance and process any claims or information requirements
- Oversee the regular maintenance of building systems (e.g. HVAC, fire prevention, kitchen facilities, security monitoring, elevator, lighting, plumbing and the building envelope)
- Interface with service providers, obtain quotes and supervise work of external contractors and service trades as directed by relevant ministry leaders
- Supervise the Building Superintendent on in-house minor repairs and custodians and janitorial contractor on general cleanliness and disinfection as required and advised by internal health team and external governing body (e.g. Toronto Public Health)
- Work with ministry leaders to provide necessary support to staff and ministry volunteers in the use of office and church equipment
- Work with ministry leaders on proper usage of church facilities and provide training where necessary (e.g. certified kitchen users and fire wardens)
- Ensure compliance with government regulatory requirements on building/facility provisions (e.g. Ontario Fire Code, Building Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act)
- Human Resources Administration & Management
- Assist the HR Committee Chair and Treasurer in the administration of CBOQ employee benefits and pension programs, and payroll activities with the payroll administrator, Ceridian
- Monitor expenses charged to Education Assistance account and SCBC Supplemental health care spending account in accordance with the Human Resources Manual
- Monitor use of vacation and other leaves approved for staff members in accordance with the Human Resources Manual
- Assist the Treasurer/HR Committee Chair in administering the Clergy Residence Deduction Program and updating the Staff Manual
- Ensure compliance with government regulatory requirements on employment matters such as Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Work with the HR Committee to prepare the annual personnel budget and support effective employee evaluations and application of fair compensation and benefits to all staff
- Collaborate with the pastoral team particularly the Senior Pastor to ensure the alignment of ministry direction and its execution
- Coordinate and support the process for employee recruitment, hiring and terminations
- Supervise staff responsible for processing payroll, benefit enrollment, regulatory & reporting requirements, and maintaining personnel records
- Corporate Administration & Communication
- Ensure proper record keeping of all church documents in accordance with legal requirements and established procedures and guidelines
- Develop, implement, review and update administrative policies and procedures that support the church’s missions and ministries
- Develop and maintain a church operation manual to consolidate all existing policies and procedures (review and update annually)
- Serve in the Privacy Committee and act as a Privacy Officer
- Provide support to pastoral staff, governing boards and ministry teams and attend meetings as required
- Supervise and support the Administration Co-ordinators in their day-to-day work flow ensuring the team operates efficiently and effectively
- Supervise and support the Communication Officer responsible for both internal and external communication of church events and church-wide issues
- Act as the church representative and handle external requests and enquiries (i.e. from general public, community groups, government departments, other churches and para-church organizations)
- Perform other duties as directed per reporting relationship
CAPABILITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Mature and growing faith in Jesus Christ, godly character, a strong commitment and calling to serve the local church
- A collaborator, problem-solver, and leader
- A team player; excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; able to manage multiple projects
- A self-starter and self-motivated with the ability to make decisions independent of supervision
- Demonstrates experience examining and interpreting a wide variety of data/information and makes recommendations or decisions
- Demonstrates proficiency in MS Office use and other church-based software applications
- Demonstrates a high level of trust and have the ability to protect the reputation and integrity of others through strict confidentiality.
- Assent to the Statement of Faith, purpose and mission of SCBC and to comply with Baptist faith and practices.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- A degree from an accredited academic institution in business and/or financial management or related field.
- 3+ years of relevant operations experience.
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and verbal). Proficiency in Cantonese and/or Mandarin an asset.
As staff of SCBC need to have frequent contacts with the congregants and others in the community, all applicants must declare their COVID vaccination status in their application cover letters—whether they have been fully or partially vaccinated. If offered conditional employment with SCBC, all candidates must provide proof of their COVID full vaccination before the employment start date. If candidates request COVID vaccination accommodation based on medical or other valid reasons, such requests will be considered by the Search Committee.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted by a Pastoral Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.