Position Title: Communication Manager
Reports to: Director, Community Innovation
Contract Dates: September 2022 – March 2023 (Annual contract renewal subject to funding)
Reporting to the Director of Community Innovation, the Communications Manager will have a unique opportunity to be part of scaling up communications and marketing efforts aimed at supporting the mission of building equitable communities for im/migrants. This newly created position is an exciting opportunity for a leader who is passionate about developing and putting plans into action and is comfortable being hands-on. The ideal candidate is an experienced, action-oriented, strategic marketing and communications professional.
- Oversees and guides the development and implementation of internal and external marketing and communications plans, policies and practices
- Prioritizes data-driven evaluation in designing and measuring communication outcomes; and conducts analysis to meet and measure KPIs
- Develops and oversees the use of print and digital communication tools, resources, messaging, guidelines, etc., following brand guidelines and incorporating storytelling that reflects Impact North Shore’s brand, values, and equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) approach
- Oversees, schedules and maintains creation of content updates for website and social media channels
- Monitors media/social media for opportunities, risks, and issues to raise with Director, as needed
- Researches, writes, proofs and edits a variety of documents, website content, social media content, annual reports, newsletters, press releases and blogs, etc.
- Supports the organization with the prevention, mitigation, and management of risks
- Collaborates with staff in developing brand-compliant materials and campaigns to advance strategic goals, ensuring consistency (visual ID, tone, style, voice)
- Coordinates and supports community relations initiatives and activities, including but not limited to preparation of communication/dissemination plans, correspondence, reports, papers, briefing notes, fact sheets, speaking notes, event presentations, and brand activations
- Provides consultation, guidance and planning for leaders across the organization to ensure effective and impactful relationship building efforts
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Community Innovation to create/execute vision and overall strategy for communications, marketing, and public relations
- Builds, fosters, and sustains positive relationships and awareness with a wide range of community partners, including media, government and non-profits
- Engages and supervises staff, contractors, and/or volunteers in the implementation of marketing and communications strategies and activities
- Actively participates in department, all-staff, leadership team and committee meetings
- Other related duties, as required
- Values. Demonstrates clear personal values that complement Impact North Shore’s values of excellence, diversity, and respect.
- Integrity & Ethics. Ensures integrity in personal and organizational practices. Builds a respectful and client-centered workplace.
- Innovation. Thinks creatively; is open to new ideas and technologies. Is committed to developing effective and new approaches to service excellence. Is flexible and adaptable to meeting changing demands of clients, funders, and other partners.
- Accountability. Accepts and creates a culture of accountability; fosters personal growth; takes personal ownership. Is self-aware and demonstrates a commitment to ongoing learning and continual improvement. Assesses risk and develops risk mitigation strategies.
- Engagement. Shows passion for the job and the mission of the Impact North Shore. Engages people, organizations, and partners in developing goals, executing plans, and in delivering results.
- Effective Communication. Fosters open communication, listens to others, speaks effectively, and prepares written communication so that messages are clearly understood.
- Organized & Efficient. Plans ahead and works in a systematic and organized way. Follows directions and procedures and ensures deliverables are met on time and according to agreed standards.
- Strategic Thinking. Has a vision for the future, builds plans, and makes decisions to get there. Aligns program policy and delivery with the strategic directions of Impact North Shore. Champions organizational change.
- Building the Team. Recognizes that the leader alone cannot get the job done; coaches staff and volunteers to meet the mission of Impact North Shore. Builds successful relationships with clients, staff, volunteers, and partners.
- Results Focused. Action-oriented. Maximizes organizational effectiveness and sustainability. Aligns people, work, and systems to meet organizational objectives.
- 3-5 years’ experience and/or University or College education in communications, marketing, public relations or equivalent discipline
- Experience/knowledge with/of SEO, website and social media metrics tools and analysis
- Proficient with Microsoft computer applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; able to utilize contact management databases and comfortable navigating Adobe Creative tools (i.e. Photoshop, InDesign)
- Strong writing abilities, skilled at articulating messages that connect to a range of audiences
- Ability to interpret data into meaningful and compelling stories
- Experience using a variety of social media, email marketing, and survey tools
- Experience with graphic design, photography and videography, an asset
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated flexibility in adapting to changing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, step outside of your comfort zone and embrace learning through action
- Familiarity of and/or lived experience of diversity, as it relates to the im/migrant settlement experience, is considered a strong asset
- Knowledge of intercultural and social issues, culturally-safe practices, inclusive and anti-racist communication strategies
- Ability to speak multiple languages is considered an asset
- Experience in non-profit sector, an asset
Hours: 28 - 35 hours / week
Salary Range: $33.00 - $37.00 per hour dependent on experience
Position Start Date: Immediately