Scheduled Hours: 40 hrs/wk; 12 hour day shifts on a two week rotation.
WJS Canada Disability Supports helps people with diverse abilities become active in their communities and reach the highest possible levels of independence.
Services we offer include:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Independent living and family support services
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Through personalized planning, the Disability Support Worker (DSW) supports individuals with diverse abilities, including FASD, developmental disabilities, Autism &/or mental health concerns. Our goal is to help each individual achieve and maintain their independence, support their strengths and encourage integration into the community.
We also provide support for individuals transitioning into independent living and away from group care or the family home. This includes training in home management, life skills, problem solving, budgeting and much more.
In Your Role You Will
• Support individuals to build independence and community inclusion through life skills and social/occupational skills
• Model or when required, provide personal care i.e. grooming, dental care, bathing, toileting, etc.,
• Encourage participation and social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual in your own vehicle to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Teaching or assisting the individual to complete daily household tasks which may include food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right to define/pursue their life choices, and participate in community events, employment and recreation.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License, clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle with suitable insurance.
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• 1 year similar experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs. Other experience such as Nursing or Health Care Aide may be considered.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages (for staff 30+hrs/wk) including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, Employer-paid AD&D and $5,000 Dependent Life, 2 weeks annual vacation to start and more!
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!