Vancouver Orphan Kitten Rescue Association’s (VOKRA) mission is to end cat overpopulation and homelessness. We rescue, heal, then place cats in our network of foster homes. We work to match them with well suited, loving forever homes. We are a passionate, volunteer-driven charity with extensive cat care experience.
The Rescue Centre Manager (RCM) will work with and provide leadership to staff and volunteers at our East Vancouver Operations Centre. Their goal will be to ensure best practices in animal care and a positive, productive environment for all staff and volunteers.
The RCM will report directly to the Board of Directors (BOD) or Managing Director (MD) (once role filled) and work with our centre based teams. They will monitor, intake, and assess rescue cats alongside medical staff. The RCM will also be a communication point for essential volunteers working outside of our centre, such as our trapping, foster, and adoption teams.
- Manage day to day operations, ensuring all staff and volunteers work to support VOKRA’s mission, values and operating procedures.
- Stay current on best practices in animal rescue and ensure those are reflected in standard operating procedures at the centre.
- Communicate with VOKRA’s key teams as cats move in and out of the centre.
- Enforce the BOD’s intake policies or referring cats to better suited situations.
- Plan, conduct and document a regular meeting with crucial centre volunteer leaders.
- Responsible for collaboration with existing team leadership for training and mentorship.
- Be capable of various tasks and responsibilities to fill in when volunteers can’t make it in.
- Ensure the safety and cleanliness of the facility to create a secure environment.
- Work with the finance team to monitor spending so costs stay within a budget.
- Track statistics about the inflow and outflow of cats from the centre.
- Foster external partnerships including but not limited to veterinarians, food and supply vendors, and other local rescues.
- Manage inventory and streamline supply chains to improve cost efficiencies
Volunteer & Personnel Management:
- Set a professional standard for behaviour, attitude and customer service.
- Assist in hiring any future staff.
- Guide and provide feedback, discipline and conflict resolution for centre volunteers.
- Task, delegate to, and assign staff and volunteers where appropriate.
- Track volunteers who are sick, absent or will be late to adjust plans accordingly.
- Prioritize the well-being and treatment of our cats.
- Intake cats including check, vaccination, deflea, deworm, and assessment.
- Follow all disease control protocols to ensure a healthy and safe environment.
- Build relationships with our partner veterinarians.
- Build relationships with partner veterinarians and other rescue organizations to share knowledge, resources and intakes, and transfers when possible.
- Oversee cat care volunteer work to make sure daily cleaning of kennels, feeding, and necessary medical care has been performed adequately.
- Prepare outgoing cats and kittens for foster pick-up.
- Feed or assist in feeding more difficult or possibly feral cats.
Administration & Logistics:
- Manage the flow of cats in and out of the facility in collaboration with external teams.
- Schedule and delegate cleaning responsibilities to ensure sanitary conditions
- Create a routine around inspecting the facility to ensure it is clean and safe to prevent injuries to cats or volunteers.
- Ensure that our database (Shelterluv) and additional platforms (i.e. Trello) are kept up to date with accurate information to facilitate smooth communication.
- Handle and diffuse any tense situations regarding upset or frustrated customers or visiting volunteers. Treat such occurrences professionally and respectfully.
- Meet with both centre volunteers and the BOD/MD regularly to discuss any issues, share ideas, or updates to policies and procedures.
- Periodically attend monthly Board meetings to provide relevant updates on operations.
- Manage inventory of food, litter, and medical supplies and supplier relationships
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 2 years management experience
- Experience in animal rescue or veterinary field
- Experience in non-profit specific work an asset
- Experience managing volunteers an asset
- Must be empathic and understand wellness needs in rescue work
- Project management and organizational skills
- Team-oriented, positive, hard worker
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products and google applications; experience with rescue databases, CRMs or Trello is a plus.
This is a full-time salaried position. The RCM must be available to work five days a week. Specific days will be coordinated with our full-time operations staff and volunteers; however, it should be expected that weekends and some statutory holidays may be required.