Foster Medical Care Coordinator
VOKRA is seeking a full-time foster medical care coordinator to join our team of enthusiastic, compassionate volunteers and staff. The successful candidate must have a strong understanding of cats, including cat care, health and well-being, and must possess strong communication skills and be comfortable doing time-sensitive work while interacting with a vast array of personalities.
This position is based out of our Operations Centre and requires flexible availability, which may include weekends, statutory holidays and evenings, to ensure timely communication on medical issues.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing medical support and guidance for our volunteer foster coordinators and fosters, under the guidance of our chief medical officer and vet tech.
- Being the liaison between our health team, Operations Centre, foster coordinators and foster homes regarding the medical needs of cats and kittens in foster.
- Triaging incoming medical issues regarding cats in foster care and providing guidance following existing protocols.
- Acting as the main point of contact between veterinarians, foster coordinators and fosters – directly communicating with our partner vets, relaying health results to appropriate internal team members, following-up with fosters and vets on treatments and working collaboratively with the health team.
- Routinely monitoring ShelterLuv with respect to the status of cats in foster care, with a primary focus on cats in palliative care and cats with long-term medical or behavioural issues
- Maintaining spreadsheets of partner veterinarian contacts and notes, and inventory of medical supplies at our Operations Centre.
- Performing data entry, as necessary, including entering medical memos on the health and progress of cats and entering medical treatments in ShelterLuv.
- Scheduling veterinary appointments.
- Ensure all policies and protocols are being followed by foster coordinators and fosters, including all bylaws, regulations and legislation concerning veterinary medicine, drugs and pharmacy, animal welfare, animal control and other areas relevant to an animal rescue organization.
The successful candidate with have a self-starting, positive attitude and an innate ability to communicate directly and respectfully with diverse internal and external stakeholders.
This role requires the ability and willingness to work both independently and as part of a close team. The ability to triage and prioritize multiple tasks at once and to ask for and/or offer or receive help and feedback as needed. A growth mindset and commitment to professional development of self and others is a must.
The successful candidate will possess:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Veterinary Assistant diploma or equivalent an asset
- Customer services experience an asset
- A sound knowledge of cats, cat care, health and well-being. Experience working in a professional veterinary environment an asset.
- Strong desire to provide excellent customer service: patience, professional, positive attitude, attention to detail, adaptability
- Highly motivated self-starter who takes initiative with minimal supervision
- Work well with all volunteers/staff and ensure your actions support VORKA’s philosophy
- Must possess excellent verbal, written and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Demonstrated excellent telephone and customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to adapt easily to ever changing situations at hand
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to triage and prioritize multiple tasks at once and to ask for and/or offer or receive help and feedback as needed.
- A growth mindset and commitment to professional development of self and others.
- Strong computer skills sufficient to deal effectively with the responsibilities and functions of the position. including spreadsheet management. Experience with Google Workspace and/or CRM system an asset.
- Philosophical harmony with VOKRA policies, programs and protocols