Encompass Support Services Society is an accredited, non-profit agency that provides a wide range of programs and support services in Langley and Aldergrove for over 25 years. We help to build strong, sustainable communities by offering inclusive, accessible services tailored to meet the changing needs of the individuals and community we serve.
At Encompass, we are committed to a journey towards cultural humility and safety; for the well-being of those we serve and those, we work along-side. We gratefully acknowledge that the programs, services and offices of Encompass are on the unceded, sovereign Indigenous lands of the Coast Salish People. This includes the territories of Kwantlen, Katzie, Matsqui and Semiahmoo First Nations. We also acknowledge the Métis and Inuit people who make Langley their home.
Our purpose is to strengthen the health and vitality of community by identifying and responding to community needs, collaborating to enhance the lives of those we serve, while cultivating effective and sustainable partnerships.
Our vision is to empower individuals, to connect people, and to enrich lives. We value community, integrity, excellence, accountability, dynamic leadership and culture, advocacy, diversity, empowerment and collaboration.
Programs and supports are designed to build new skills, to foster healthy, productive lifestyles and to improve access to services within our community. Services are low-barrier, all-inclusive and at no cost to participants. Annually, we provide services to over 2500 individuals and families.
The Youth Housing and Outreach Support Worker provides outreach support to vulnerable youth within the Langley who are at risk of, but not limited to, homelessness, violence, isolation and sexual exploitation. The Youth Housing and Outreach Support Worker strives to provide services, which include crisis intervention, mediation, assessment, education, life skills, debriefing, and assisting youth to explore and access community resources. The Youth Street Outreach Worker works within a team environment and provides support on an outreach basis.
JOB POSTING # 2022-0100 YHOSW
DATE: September 8, 2022
POSITION: Permanent - Full -Time
HOURS OF WORK: 37.5 per week
SALARY RANGE: Grid 12, Step 2 - $25.69
BENEFITS: Extended Health, Dental, RRSP
VACATION: as per ESS policy
ANTICIPATED START DATE: ASAP
CLOSING: Open until filled
1. Provide culturally safe and diverse community outreach support services to vulnerable youth to facilitate building life skills, mediation, crisis intervention, conflict resolution and employment skills. Connect youth to community resources.
2. Work collaboratively with the Youth Housing Placement and Support Worker, Youth Street Outreach Worker and other Langley Youth Resource Center staff to support participants and program needs.
3. Work collaboratively with various stakeholders, such as government, families, related organizations, community organizations and service providers.
4. Meet with youth to identify their specific needs, goal-setting, care planning, discovering and pursuing passions and supporting emotional wellness, physical health and a strong sense of identity and belonging.
5. Provide skill building in areas such independent living skills, anger management or self-management techniques.
6. Support youth in precarious or unstable living conditions or youth finding themselves without a fixed address to secure stable and safe housing.
7. Build and maintain professional relationships with local professionals and schools who work closely with vulnerable youth and those experiencing barriers to housing.
8. Assist in the promotion of community programs and events by the facilitation of groups, presentations, and distribution of brochures to local schools and businesses.
9. Outlines services provided by the program and/or organization when requested. Provides information on and referral to other community service providers, resources and professionals as required.
10. Maintains related records and statistics and provides reports to the supervisor as required.
11. Participate in case reviews and team meetings as necessary.
12. Assist in the promotion of community programs and events in correspondence with supervisor.
13. Actively participate in community tables where appropriate, representing and advocating for ESSS in a professional capacity.
14. To know, understand and comply with all policies and procedures determined by ESSS.
15. To perform other duties as requested by Supervisor.
We are interested in candidates with the following Qualifications
1. Education and Knowledge
• Bachelors degree in a relevant social science or social service practice.
• Minimum of 1 years related experience.
• OR Combination of education and related experience.
2. Skills and Abilities
• Experience with Motivational Interviewing, Solution Focused Counselling, Addictions Counselling Training
• Experience working with vulnerable youth
• Training in de-escalation and crisis intervention including briefing and de-briefing
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Extensive knowledge of social issues facing our youth population
3. Other Information
• Police Information Check including the vulnerable sector
• Current Emergency First Aid
• Valid BC driver’s license with Business insurance use and use of own vehicle
• Current Drivers Abstract
• Covid-19 Vaccination Status
At Encompass Support Services Society, equity, diversity, and inclusion at the core of who we are. These principles guide us in our programs and services and in fostering an environment of dignity, respect and belonging. We encourage applications from persons with historical and/or current barriers to equity, who will work respectfully within our inclusive organization and diverse community.
Encompass Support Services Society follows the guidelines of the Public Health Officer and WorkSafeBC to ensure all our employees, contractors and volunteers are welcomed into a safe environment.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!