September 12, 2022
Executive Assistant to the President & CEO
New Westminster YMCA (620 Royal Avenue, New Westminster)
(Occasional travel as required to visit other YMCA sites and locations)
As soon as possible
$65,000 - $90,000 per year
President & CEO
Typical 7 hour work day / 35 hour work week
Extended Health and Dental Benefits
Competitive paid vacation time off
Paid sick time and leaves
YMCA Staff Membership
Training and Professional Development Opportunities
Employee Assistance Program
Be part of a charitable organization that positively impacts the community
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is a charity dedicated to strengthening the foundations of community, by nurturing the potential of children, teens & young adults, promoting healthy lifestyles, fostering a sense of social responsibility and delivering lasting personal & social change. We are building a community in which a generation of children and families reach their full potential. Our values guide our decision-making and behavior—we do the right thing, put people first, keep our promises and lead by example.
For over 135 years, we have been part of the community, a place where people of every age and background find the support they need to grow in spirit, mind and body. One of the Lower Mainland’s leading charities, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver provides services in health, fitness & aquatics, child care, camping, employment & community services to over 120,000 participants annually.
- Do the right thing - We are caring, respectful, honest and responsible in all we do
- Put people first - We believe in the strengths, perspectives and passion of people
- Keep our promises -We do what we say we will do
- Lead by example -We are courageous, speak with conviction, listen attentively and collaborate
Nature and Scope:
Reporting directly to the President & CEO, the Executive Assistant provides integral support (administrative, board, and governance) to the President & CEO, the Board of Directors, and related committees. Demonstrated organizational ability and reliability are critical in this position. The successful candidate will have strong communication and interpersonal skills as an effective ambassador of the YMCA to internal and external stakeholders.
Administrative support/Office management
- Plans, organizes and coordinates the administrative aspect of the Executive’s office functions.
- Manages the CEO’s calendar, contact address book, set up meetings and prepare the CEO for internal and external meetings (agendas, conference calls, prepare research and supporting documents).
- Conducts research to prepare CEO for external meetings (i.e. clients, prospects).
- Drafts and prepares correspondence.
- Prepares agenda, takes/transcribes minutes of meetings.
- Liaises with Leadership Team, on behalf of the President & CEO, and the Board.
- Arranges detailed travel reservations (i.e. air, hotel and transportation).
- Collects and coordinates expenses and receipts for CEO as required and completes expense reports.
- Assists with other projects, as needed.
- Ensures all deadlines are met, including project tracking, information gathering, report production, etc.
- Prepares and drafts power point presentations and other presentations as required.
- Maintains Bring Forward (BF) system and organize and maintain an effective filing system
- Maintains confidentiality of information
Board Support duties
- Support all activities of the Board of Directors and its committees including: room and equipment booking, refreshments (where appropriate), notifications to board, committee members, Leadership Team, and internal/external presenters
- Prepares and assembles agendas, agenda packets and calendars for meetings; attends agenda review, noting and making changes to agendas as reviewed and discussed
- Processes and/or certifies agenda items of the Board and committee meetings
- Tracks new, referred and postponed items, ensuring that all documents, reports and correspondence are accurately provided
- Sends out notices of meetings along with material related to agenda items to members, news media and other interested parties
- Attends Board and committee meetings and takes extensive and exacting notes of the meeting and proceedings, documenting decisions, actions and directives
- Summarizes, composes and types (from notes, audio tapes and written materials) documents related to agenda items, completes official minutes of Board or committee proceedings, writes motions in clear and standard form with timely and accurate turnaround
- Extracts and composes, from notes of committee proceedings, material requiring formal referral to the Board of Directors, committees or staff concerned
- Prepares/coordinates other logistical duties for Board Members, including parking, per diem, committee member mileage reimbursement, website information, membership application and fees, confidentiality agreement, access to board portal and other legislative requirements
- Maintains accurate and complete files
- Independently composes correspondence requiring the application of specialized knowledge
- Corresponds with Leadership Team to plan Board agenda.
- Works with the CEO to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements and non profit standards.
- Supports the development and maintenance of Board Policies and Bylaws revision and enquiries.
- Provides direction and guidance to staff on administrative and operational issues as they relate to Governance and Board Services.
- Provides support on operational processes, procedures and protocols.
- Maintains governing documents and all required corporate filings and documents required by applicable authorities.
- Supports the YMCA and execution of the Annual General and any Special Meetings of the Members
- Coordinates scheduling of Governance Meetings (electronic and face-to-face)
- Prepares, coordinates, collates and circulates governance meeting materials (agenda and supporting documents)
- Attends Board and Committee meetings as to document outcomes and provide tech support.
- Prepares minutes, tracks decisions, documents progress and actions registries for Board/Business Meetings and Committee Meetings.
- Supports governance related events.
- Provides data analysis for Governance activities and undertakes research and preliminary work on special projects as assigned by the CEO.
- Collects, collates and provides information in response to requests from members or other key stakeholders.
- Minimum College diploma/ Associate degree in Business administration or other relevant area.
- Five to seven years recent, related secretarial/administrative experience supporting senior level management
- Demonstrated experience in windows-based applications including good working knowledge of Outlook, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Planning, prioritization and organization skills to ensure that tasks are completed; work well under pressure
- Experience working for an executive at the President & CEO level in a non profit organization
- Familiarity with the management, Board processes.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and governance practices
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills and proficiency in business vocabulary
- Time management skills to plan, manage and coordinate activities
- Attention to detail and decision-making skills to respond to high-pressure situations
- Demonstrate ability to handle confidential/sensitive information requiring high levels of diplomacy, sensitivity and confidentiality;
- Prepare clear, concise and accurate documentation
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to work independently and follow through on assignments with minimal direction
- Ability to meet deadlines, established objectives with multiple interruptions
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment in working within the scope of their authority.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills and the ability to handle multiple responsibilities effectively
- Conduct research and develop recommendations on a variety of subjects, as assigned.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.
In addition to bringing a commitment to YMCA vision and values, the candidate should possess the following competencies:
- Evolve in Professional Capability – Commit to being better
- Achieve Excellence and Authenticity – Show up with the best version of you
- Develop the Potential in Others – Help people grow and lead
- Create a Culture of Connection – Build bridges between people and partners
- Think and Act Strategically – Make good decisions and act on them
- Make an Intentional Impact – Advance the strength and cause of the Y