Background: The Immigrants Working Centre is an equality-seeking, anti-racist; non-profit, charitable organization committed to the social, political and economic inclusion of refugee and immigrant women in Hamilton and across Canada. The LINC Supply Instructor works under the supervision of the Manager of Language Instruction Programs.
- Bachelor degree in Arts, Education or Social Science Program
- TESL Ontario Certification or Teaching English as a Second Language certification from a recognized institution; OR TESL certification in progress and minimum 1-year experience.
- Superior proficiency in English
- Awareness of cultural diversity & sensitivity, anti-racism and anti-oppression theory
- Positive approach to a multi-level teaching environment
- Positive approach to using technology in the classroom
- Knowledge of the Canadian Language Benchmarks and CLB: ESL for ALL and their application
- Knowledge of PBLA is an asset
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) to learners of varying levels, prepare materials, classroom, and lesson plans as required.
- Deliver classes in varying formats (online, HyFlex, in-person) using technology and LMS
- Be equipped with employment-focused English language learning materials and activities to implement in classes of varying CLBs.
- Whenever possible, collaborate with LINC Instructors in the development and implementation of instructional activities.
- Use computers, audio-visual aids, and other equipment and materials to supplement instruction.
- Deliver lessons through a learner-centred approach that encourages active participation and engagement.
- Inform the Manager of Language Instruction Programs of all occurrences or facts that are necessary for an understanding of matters affecting the program or the people involved.