Position Title: Community Support Worker
Start Date: October 2022
Annual salary : $47,411.00- $50,960.00 plus benefits (Extended health benefits, pension plan and EFAP). In addition to your salary, you will also have paid vacation, sick and personal time
Reports to: Manager, Child, Youth, and Family Program
Hours: Full-time (35 hours/week)
Location: Hybrid/ Lawrence Ave/Allen Rd, Bathurst/Finch
North York Community House (NYCH) is a dynamic community agency that has been working with residents of under-resourced and low-income neighbourhoods in northwest Toronto for over 30 years. We are committed to helping people move out of poverty in order to build strong, vibrant communities. We support new Canadians, children, youth and their families, seniors, and local residents in becoming active and engaged citizens who are able to thrive and become leaders in their own lives and communities.
At NYCH, we pride ourselves on working collaboratively and creating a supportive environment. We recognize the work we need to do to improve and are constantly striving to do so. Our team has shown incredible adaptability, strength, creativity, and dedication in serving our communities during the COVID-19 pandemic, and we continue to learn and grow, and innovate while dealing with the challenges of this new reality.
The Community Support Worker will work with communities in northwest Toronto to encourage connections between community members, increase the sense of belonging, and promote access to resources. The Community Support Worker will connect community members to different services they need, reduce isolation and increase awareness of resources through one-on-one support, group activities, and community outreach. This position will work directly with community members to design a range of strategies and group activities to meet the needs of community members of all ages and abilities. As part of the Community Connections program, this position will identify ways to increase both individual and community understanding of key issues, build a sense of community involvement, and increase confidence in the ability to make a difference in the community.
Community Scan Assessment:
- Identify community needs through various strategies, including reviewing demographic and census data, community surveying, and consultation with advisory groups and participants in NYCH programs.
- Identify and implement activities, strategies, and initiates that will enable community members to take a more active role in shaping their communities
Outreach and Promotion:
- Plan and execute various outreach strategies to identify community strengths, opportunities, and needs including reaching out to neighborhoods where NYCH has had a limited presence in the past
- Develop innovative outreach strategies to communicate and engage effectively with residents, community and faith leaders, service providers
- Act as a resource liaison within the Community Connections team, which includes providing support and resource to the After School Program parents and staff
- Represent NYCH at community events, committee meetings, etc.
One-to-one Coaching and Support:
- Assess individual needs and provide information about community resources, government benefits, food security, and other opportunities
- Provide information and referral based on individual and family’s short term and long term needs
- Research and share personal development opportunities, such as leadership programs and community development resources, etc.
- Provide follow-up and ensure the program is meeting their needs
Develop and Deliver community Groups:
- Develop and facilitate community groups based on interest and needs
- Facilitate group activities to support community members in identifying both strengths and gaps in their community
- Work with community members to offer opportunities to develop knowledge and skills to build resilience, problem-solving, and conflict resolution through leadership development and peer-to-peer support.
- Identify and facilitate ways to bring existing NYCH programming out to the community with a focus on leadership development to lead to community action
Program Evaluation and Administration:
- Enter and maintain client information into database system (OCMS) and complete and submit program timesheets, program expenses and receipts, and other administrative forms on a timely basis
- Maintain/enter and submit records and evaluative data around participant progress and program outcomes
- Collect and analyze program evaluation data to enhance program planning and provide evidence of program impact
- Record and submit program attendance, registration, and other reports, as required, including monitoring work plan progression
- Participate in team and broader NYCH training and activities as required
- Combination of education and experience in social work, social sciences, or diploma/certificate in community development or related fields
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in developing and implementing community-based projects
- Minimum of 1-year experience working with newcomers and/or community members
- Knowledge of issues/barriers faced by newcomers and under-resourced communities
- Excellent outreach skills and ability to work with diverse communities to identify solutions
- Demonstrated skills and experience in group facilitation
- Experience working with adult and seniors populations with a strong understanding of issues faced by marginalized groups
- Demonstrated experience as an effective team/project leader and ability to implement community-based programming.
- Strong ability to work well with partners and other key stakeholders
- Ability to effectively juggle multiple priorities, including project planning, partnership building, group facilitation and day-to-day oversight and troubleshooting
- Excellent teamwork, networking, and partnership development skills
- Strong experience in providing one-on-one support and coaching
- Excellent communication skills in English, written and verbal; other languages an asset
- Solid computer skills, specifically with Microsoft Office, cloud applications, and social media
- Requires flexibility around schedule to work occasional evenings and weekends. Requires regular travel within North York/northwest Toronto (when in-person meetings are safe and permitted).
- A successful clearance of criminal record verification will be required when necessary for the position.
- Candidates will be asked to declare their vaccination status during recruitment process. Successful candidates will be required to provide proof before or directly upon the start of their employment