Job ID: 22-037EJHS
Edmonton John Howard Society (EJHS) is a CARF accredited community based crime prevention organization that has been operating in Edmonton since 1949. Our mission is “through our programs and services we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime”.
The Edmonton John Howard Society provides the following:
- Strong focus on employee wellness and work-life balance
- Service recognition and employee awards
- Professional Development opportunities
- Staff teambuilding and appreciation days
We are a values-driven organization that supports clients from a strength based approach. If your values are aligned with our core values listed at: https://johnhoward.org/about-us/core-values, please consider joining our team.
This is a unique position that has responsibilities working half time as a Domestic Violence Court Support Worker in the Domestic Violence Complainant Assistance Program (DVCAP) and half time a Virtual Education Developer with the Family Violence Prevention Centre (FVPC).
The DVCAP Domestic Violence Court Workers provide support to complainants in Edmonton’s Domestic Violence Court. DVCAP, a program of the FVPC provides: court preparation, orientation, and accompaniment, ongoing emotional support, monitoring of risk and safety planning, liaising with the Crown Prosecutor’s office, and providing information on rights for the victim.
The Virtual Education Developer will consult with FVPC staff on the design and implementation of Family Violence Education modules. These modules will be tailored specifically for FVPC clients in order to compliment services that are already offered. The modules will be designed and implemented using Adobe Captivate.
- Provide court support (preparation, orientation and accompaniment) and follow up support as required and to keep clients informed on their court matters
- Deliver ongoing services using a client centered, strength based approach consistent with agency and program philosophy
- Maintain accurate and timely data collection, data entry and completion of any program assessments and surveys as per agency and program policy
- Ongoing monitoring of risk and safety through safety planning
- Provide information on the impact of family violence has on individuals and children
- Provide referrals to other resources as appropriate
- Liaise with Crown Prosecutors’ Office
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with community services and partners within domestic violence sector
- Review and finalize internal family violence education modules
- Create virtual family violence education modules using Adobe Captivate
Qualifications / Skills:
- Degree or Diploma in Social Work, Criminal Justice, or related human services field with 2 years of experience in working with victims of family violence
- Experience/competency working with law enforcement, child and family services and/or the justice systems
- Professionalism within all aspects of employment and able to contribute to a positive team environment
- Thorough understanding of victimization and the dynamics of domestic violence
- Comprehensive understanding of criminal law process and court terminology
- Experience working with Indigenous and ethno-cultural communities and providing culturally relevant services
- Knowledge of community resources and experience accessing resources
- Excellent computer knowledge (Microsoft programs, video conferencing platforms)
- Experience working with Adobe Captivate or other virtual training creation programs would be an asset
- Motivational interviewing skills
- Criminal Records Check and Child Interventions Record Check
- Proficiency in speaking a secondary language is considered an asset.
Conditions of Employment:
- This position works Monday to Friday, from 8:00AM to 4:30PM
- The position is based out of EJHS Transition Place, #401, 10010 105 Street and Edmonton Law Courts.
- Parking is not provided
- The start date will be as soon as possible
- This is a temporary position until March 31, 2023
- All candidates will be obliged to comply with EJHS’s Mandatory Vaccine Mandate, as a condition of employment
- The closing date is until a suitable candidate is found