Position Purpose Summary:
Under the direction of the Shelter Operations Manager, the Shelter Worker 1 is responsible for the intake/discharge, communication, observation and monitoring of clients and routine duties of the shelter. The Shelter Worker 1 may liaise with the Shelters Case Workers to carry out a variety of duties related to supporting clients while at the emergency shelter. This position is team oriented. Detailed descriptions of the work are included under Specific Duties and Responsibilities. This position description will form the basis for the annual performance evaluation conducted by the Supervisor.
- Monitors and ensures the safety of clients and the facility by performing duties such as answering telephone calls, screening clients, admission/discharge of clients and securing the building.
- Interviews clients, gathers background information, determines their suitability for the program, and makes referrals to other programs and services as required.
- Provides advocacy and emotional support to clients in crisis by performing duties such as monitoring clients physical needs, referring clients to outside agencies / or a Harbour Light Case Worker.
- Completes and maintains related records and documentation such as bed lists, daily logs, incident reports & memoranda.
- Makes entries and maintains HIFIS database.
- Encourages and supports individuals to make healthy choices and practices through methods such as exchanging needles and provision of health and safety materials such as condoms and to take part in recreational and/or social activities.
- Performs a variety of cleaning and maintenance duties such as (but not limited to): toilet cleaning, bed-making as needed, and disinfecting of mattresses on client discharge. This also includes inspection and general clean up of assigned areas including regular checks of washrooms, laundry room and common areas.
- Participates as a team member with other staff to ensure a safe and caring environment by performing duties such as responding to emergency issues and supporting others through methods such as sharing knowledge and information.
- Accurately records day-to-day happenings using appropriate methods; maintains logbooks and completes occurrence reports`
- Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Education requirements:
*NOTE: For some jobs, you may be required to provide validated educational documentation.
- Willingness to adhere to the Mission and Values of The Salvation Army
- Must demonstrate a positive attitude towards the homeless and individuals with substance abuse and concurrent problems, including mental health concerns.
- Previous experience and/or training working with the homeless.
- Beginner to intermediate computer skills.
- First Aid and CPR certificate preferred.
MINIMUM EDUCATION LEVEL ATTAINED:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Post-secondary education in a related field would be considered an asset.
HOURS: On Call - Varied