The Toronto Foundation for Student Success (TFSS) is a registered charity. We advocate for students, identifying and initiating programs to help mitigate the impacts of hunger and poverty. Our programs have expanded over the years as the need has escalated.
The Controller, reporting to the Senior Director of Finance, is responsible for the day-to-day management of the 12 persons finance team. The Controller will lead all activities related to financial analysis, financial reporting, managerial accounting, human resource management and payroll.
- Establishes and oversees financial control and reporting mechanisms.
- Manages the administration of all financial records, accounting processes and monthly, accumulative and annual financial reports and statements.
- Conducts expenditure variance analysis and assists with budget forecasts.
- Represents the agency in contacts with external auditors and representatives of banking institutions, payroll services and related government agencies.
- Participates in ongoing communication and negotiation with the Agency’s various funding bodies. Authorizes agency expenditures within established limits.
- Develops, implements and manages the human resource program and consultation services, including organizational design and development, recruitment, staffing, salary and benefits administration, payroll and performance management system.
- Provides accurate and timely financial and administrative information and analysis.
- Results-oriented with proven expertise in developing and managing large budgets, financial reporting, auditing, automated financial systems, compliance, establishment of internal controls, designing and implementing processes to increase the efficacy of a growing organization.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements of federal, provincial and municipal governments with regard to: fund-raising activities, charity structure, document retention, investment activities, unrelated business income activities, and so on.
- Assures establishment and compliance with internal procedures related to: banking, segregation of duties, and security of financial data. Supports consistent improvements to all MSF Canada financial processes and evaluates financial project reports.
- Establishes and maintains external network of colleagues on financial issues and keeps abreast of current professional resources and trends.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of internal controls, polices and procedures, finding efficiencies and implementing new processes.
- Ongoing supervision, coaching and mentoring of finance team.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum five years’ experience in a management of Finance and Administrative position.
- Professional CPA designation and a current member in good standing.
- Expert knowledge of financial planning, financial management and accounting/financial reporting systems and procedures to manage the agency’s fiscal and business affairs. A professional accounting designation is required.
- Knowledge of human resource management and related legislation to develop and implement human resource systems and to provide human resource consultative services to the agency management team.
- Experience working with accounting systems is required; experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge and Raiser’s Edge is an asset.
- Experience using ADP Workforce Now is an asset.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft 365 (Word, SharePoint, Teams).
- Strong leadership skills. Ability to articulate and promote a vision and to build consensus and team cohesion.
- Good presentation skills to represent the agency with external contacts and to provide advisory services to the Management Team, Board of Directors and committees of the Board.
- Knowledge of ASPE is required; knowledge of ASNPO is an asset.
- A high degree of sensitivity and professionalism with respect to the management of confidential information.
- Ability to anticipate and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully leading and managing and motivating a team.
TFSS is committed to a policy of access and equity in its hiring process. To learn more about who we are and what we do, please visit our website at www.tfss.ca