Human Resources Manager
Full-time permanent contract (40 hours per week)
This is primarily an onsite role at PAQ’s offices in downtown Montréal. A maximum of two days/week may be worked remotely.
Wages and benefits:
$68,640 - $79,040 commensurate with experience. Benefits include 4 weeks vacation, 10 paid sick/personal days, health benefits package after 3 months. Vacation increases to 5 weeks / year in year 3.
Qualified candidates who identify as Indigenous are encouraged to apply.
PAQ is an Indigenous organization that accompanies First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples facing housing insecurity in Tio’tià: ke / Montréal. Using a culturally adapted approach based on empowerment and harm reduction, we offer shelter, housing options and services that promote healing, well-being and community. We work in partnership to advocate for the health and housing rights of urban Indigenous Peoples.
Reporting to the Operations Director, the Human Resources manager is a member of PAQ’s Management team and provides leadership in this context. The HR Manager oversees workplace health and safety, staff wellness, recruitment, training, retention, performance evaluation, and professional development. They contribute to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace, taking steps to deepen PAQ’s commitment to our values and mission.
The HR manager builds and nurtures a team that reflects the principles of cultural safety, community ownership, harm reduction, trauma informed care, and empowerment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- As part of the PAQ Management Team (MT), contribute to the overall organizational vision, plans, budgets, and strategies;
- Hold overall responsibility for ensuring PAQ is an attractive, fair, and culturally safe place of employment.
- Proactively share information with other MT members & collaborate on cross-cutting initiatives;
- Ensure PAQ is compliant with all labour regulations and legislation and following sector best practices;
- Represent PAQ at external meetings with partners and suppliers, and in other external-facing functions in mutual agreement with the Operations Director;
- Participate and present at meetings of the Board of Directors, on an as-needed basis;
- With the commitment of the Executive Director and Board to lead by example, infuse a culture of quality, transparency and accountability at PAQ;
- Monitor, evaluate & manage outputs against approved plans & budgets; ensure targets are met
Using PAQ’s online HR platform, Bamboo HR:
- Serve as a resource for all staff, providing information, advice and resolving day-to-day HR issues;
- Create and maintain all HR related policies;
- Process payroll-related changes (e.g. new hires, status changes, terminations);
- Ensure the accuracy of sick, vacation and overtime balances for all staff;
- Assist with the implementation of the health and safety program including completion of all related paperwork and forms, performing workplace inspections;
- Lead on all liaison and paperwork for CNESST files;
- Assist with workplace health and safety claims management and completion of forms;
- Enroll new staff, processing salary changes, and other transactions ensuring the Group Medical and Dental benefit plans and Pension Plan are up to date and accurate;
- Digitize all personnel records, files, timesheets and other documentation;
- Take minutes at various meetings as required;
- Collect and report human resource-related data and provide analysis of trends;
- Provide assistance to other members of management as required;
- Participate in organization-wide activities and other duties as required.
- Oversee key government required projects such as équité salariale, francisation, workplace health and safety reforms.
Staff planning, recruitment, hiring and onboarding
- Implement recruitment and hiring practices and strategies that increase and retain the number of Indigenous employees at PAQ;
- Stay abreast of the latest best practices in recruitment, hiring and onboarding from the sector;
- Build and ensure approval and budgets for PAQ’s staff planning.
- In collaboration with Directors, Managers, and Coordinators, ensure complete and up-to-date job descriptions for all active roles at PAQ.
- Liaise with PAQ’s external recruiter on all recruitment processes.
- Oversee and coordinate employee hiring processes in partnership with Directors, Managers and Coordinators;
- Develop consistent onboarding procedures and practices in collaboration with the management team;
- Provide orientation and training to new employees;
- Assess and identify gaps in knowledge and skills for staff;
- Develop creative strategies for recruiting the best possible candidates from diverse backgrounds;
- Develop relationships with CEGEPS, Universities (and more), such as career placement offices and specific departments, to increase recruitment success;
Training and Performance Management
- Identify training needs, and, in collaboration with managers and coordinators, design and build training materials and programs for PAQ staff;
- Facilitate training and onboarding sessions for new staff;
- Identify trainers and external partners who can provide training and professional development opportunities to staff;
- Support Coordinators to manage performance issues with staff in a fair, compassionate, and effective manner;
- Design/update and implement performance management tools and processes that ensure a bi-annual performance review and regular feedback for all employees;
- Handle all incidents of professional misconduct within the housing team in compliance with PAQ policies, and in collaboration with the Executive Director.
5) Recognition and Retention
- Develop creative strategies to recognize, motivate and celebrate staff;
- Explore potential partnerships with external professionals and service providers who can offer additional benefits to staff e.g. personal coaches;
- Identify internal recruitment and retention trends, for example regarding turnover, and develop strategies to mitigate and manage risks for PAQ, and ensure a trained, experienced and satisfied team.;
- Co-develop professional development opportunities for all staff;
- Create opportunities for advancement in the team;
- Create mechanisms for knowledge transfer, peer-coaching and succession planning;
- Research, recommendation and possible implementation of a retirement savings plan for employees
- Infuse a spirit of excellence, innovation and collaboration within PAQ culture and working environment
- Promote PAQ’s values at work and externally
- Other duties, as assigned by the Executive Director
Required Values and Attributes
- Demonstrate understanding and commitment to reconciliation with Canada’s Indigenous peoples
- Committed to imbedding Indigenous values and approaches across all PAQ HR processes and initiatives Able to build strong collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- High energy, positive “can-do” attitude, with a high degree of initiative, creativity, and perseverance
- Personal qualities of integrity and credibility
- Strong understanding of confidentiality and discretion
- Desire to work with a diversity of people in a fluid, dynamic environment
- Interested in technology and improving work systems
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Minimum five years’ experience working in a human resources coordination or management role, preferably within (but not limited to) the not-for-profit or community sector.;
- Proven experience in at least 4 of the following 8 areas:
- Workplace health and safety
- Québec labour law and regulations
- HR Administration
- Recruitment, hiring and onboarding
- Training and performance management
- Employee recognition and retention programs
- Diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives
- Policy development
- Strong written skills in either French or English with an ability to work effectively in the 2nd language.
- Strong time management and coordination skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Comprehensive knowledge of all employment legislation, regulations and guidelines;
- Demonstrated interest in innovative human resources practices and organizational development.
- Knowledge of Bamboo HR is an asset
Required Academic or Other Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or DEC in a related field
- A CHRP designation is a significant asset.