Employment Opportunity – Donnelly House – Full Time Caseworker
Job ID: 22-043EJHS
Edmonton John Howard Society (EJHS) is a CARF accredited community-based crime prevention organization that has been operating in Edmonton since 1949. Our mission is “through our programs and services we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime”.
The Edmonton John Howard Society provides the following:
- Strong focus on employee wellness and work-life balance
- Service recognition and employee awards
- Professional Development opportunities
- Staff teambuilding and appreciation days
- Competitive health, dental and RRSP benefits
We are a values-driven organization that supports clients from a strength-based approach. If your values are aligned with our core values listed at: https://johnhoward.org/about-us/core-values, please consider joining our team.
Donnelly House is a 24/7 transitional housing program that assists individuals (16 years & over) experiencing homelessness. Donnelly House can support up to 8 individuals at a time. Donnelly House accepts referrals for clients who may be experiencing the following:
- Homelessness and need a residence while setting up an apartment or income supports.
- Waiting to enter a treatment program or returning from a treatment program.
- Needing a place to stabilize from addiction use (must be committed to sobriety).
- Coming from Provincial Corrections and have a plan for permanent housing.
- Being discharged from acute care without permanent Housing arrangements.
- Provide support to individuals who are 16 years and older who at risk of homelessness
- Ensure a healthy, safe, and supportive environment while participants are residing in our interim housing
- Maintain a caseload of up to 3 clients (can be more or less upon discretion of the Manager), ensuring all documentation is completed within required timelines
- Engage with community resources and partners to provide the best support to clients
- Collaborate within the agency to ensure the program is meetings the needs of the clients
- Support clients living with Mental Health and Substance Abuse issues by teaching basic living skills, coping skills, and offering support during crisis.
Qualifications / Skills:
- Diploma or Degree in related Human Services Field
- Knowledge of the Harm Reduction Philosophy
- Skills in communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing
- The ability to understand and work with cultural differences
- Experience working with diverse populations, including clients with mental health issues
- Possess the skills to form professional relationships and gain trust
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR level C and AED
Conditions of Employment:
- This position operates from 7:00 am-3:00 pm Wednesday - Sunday
- This is a position that requires frequent standing, walking up and down stairs and occasional lifting.
- Successful candidate must have a working vehicle and maintain $2,000,000.00 Liability on insurance.
- All candidates will be obliged to comply with EJHS’s Mandatory Vaccine Mandate, as a condition of employment.
The starting salary is $45,000.00 annually.
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted
Safety and harmony in our community
Edmonton John Howard Society is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of Indigenous heritage, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds