PLEA Community Services is currently seeking a Regular Full-Time Community Support Worker for our FolkStone-Vancouver team. The proposed start date for this position is as soon as possible. This position requires BCGEU membership.
The Community Support Worker assists clients with their physical, economic, vocational, recreational, social, emotional and daily life skills development. The Community Support Worker assists clients to achieve the greatest degree of independence and quality of life possible.
Please submit a resume and cover letter referencing the competition number 2022024CSW4.R. If the position is not filled internally, it will remain open until filled.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in assessment, goal setting and program planning such as service plans for individuals. Documents and implements the plan. Provides input into the evaluation of the program.
- Evaluates client needs and develops short term plans to meet such needs with the active participation of clients and their families.
- Assists clients to function more independently in their own homes and in the community. Assists clients with daily life skills, social skills and/or behaviour management. Teaches and assists clients with activities such as grooming, basic cooking, money management, shopping, household safety, pet care. Facilitates physical, recreational, educational, social and vocational activities.
- Recognizes, analyzes and deals with potential emergency situations such as clients’ aggressive behaviour to minimize potential harm to the clients and/or the public. Reports problems to their manager.
- Assists the clients in self-administering medication in accordance with established policy.
- Ensures health and safety standards are maintained.
- Reviews and evaluates clients’ progress and makes adjustments to programs as required. Provides feedback and support to clients and/or their families.
- Accompanies and/or transports clients to activities such as appointments, shopping or leisure activities.
- Provides written and/or verbal reports regarding clients’ daily activities and progress. Ensures that all required documentation is complete and accurate.
- Identifies social, economic, recreational, physical, vocational and educational services in the community that will meet clients’ needs. Maintains liaison with other agencies, professionals, government officials and the community.
- Protects and upholds confidentiality.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Effective communication skills, including the ability to write accurate notes.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the demonstrated ability to build effective relationships with clients, Family Caregivers, internal staff, professionals and families.
- Demonstrated ability to encourage adults to participate in community activities and follow client service plans.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative, make sound decisions and be held accountable for results.
- Demonstrated ability to be sensitive and understanding of individuals’ social realities including issues of race, culture, religion, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, poverty and lifestyle.
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues and trends related to the program.
Education and Knowledge
- Two-year diploma in a related human/social services field.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, database systems and web-based conferencing tools.
Training and Experience
- One (1) year of recent, related experience.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Clearance.
- Must possess a valid Occupational First Aid Level 1 Certificate or be willing to obtain one prior to hire.
- Use of Personal Vehicle. This position requires travel in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.
- A valid B.C. Driver's License (Class 5 or Class 7), and suitable driver's abstract.
- The usual hours of work in this position are Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:00PM, based on 37.5 working hours per week.
- Documentation that the applicant is legally approved to work in Canada.
- As a Public Service employer and to meet our funding obligations, PLEA requires successful applicants to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date.
Note: PLEA conducts primary source verification of applicant's credentials including education, training, work history, and licensure.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.