Burnaby Neighbourhood House is currently seeking an experienced seniors’ activity worker to join our team. The individual will implement a day program addressing the social, emotional and physical needs of frail seniors living in Burnaby.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- To develop and implement a therapeutic day program for frail seniors
- To create a space that welcomes seniors of diverse backgrounds and abilities
- To support volunteers in leadership roles in the delivery of activities within the day program.
- To work cooperatively with the BNH seniors’ program team and community partners to support age related transitions from community programs to the day program as well as into next levels of care.
- To support the evaluation and reporting process by gathering statistical information on contacts made and observations of program participants’ progress.
- To assist the coordinator by contributing information to case files of senior participants and liaising with support networks.
- To work as part of the BNH staff team and encourage the involvement of seniors in the community.
- To attend meetings that relate to seniors issues as necessary
- Degree or diploma in a seniors’ related field plus training and/or experience in activity program delivery or equivalent education and training.
- Strong skills and experience in working with seniors and volunteers.
- Excellent communication, planning and problem solving abilities.
- Proven ability to work effectively with diverse populations and create a welcoming and inclusive program for all.
- Passion for supporting seniors to overcome social isolation and encourage the building of their strengths and active participation in the community.
- Knowledge and awareness of issues surrounding diversity and multiculturalism.
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable in the workplace
- Proficient with computer programs, including Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and virtual platforms, including Skype and Zoom
- Driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Current Emergency first-aid certification or willingness to obtain
- Ability to speak a second language an asset.
The Seniors Day Program Activity Supervisor reports to the Day Program Seniors Coordinator.
Hours & Pay rate:
20 hours per week
Rate of pay between $20.37 to 21.61 per hour (dependent on experience) plus benefits
Start Date: Immediately