This role contributes to EMCN's sustainability by designing and developing a grant process system and creating evidence-based, compelling and ultimately successful proposal packages demonstrating EMCN's impact on the community and its citizens. You get to build and strengthen relationships with funders and research actual and potential funding opportunities and partnerships available to EMCN. Collaborates closely with program experts and funding partners virtually, face-to-face and hybrid as needed. To excel in this role, creativity, curiosity, love for research, and analytical skills will be impactful in developing and refining processes and workflows and successful grant and proposal development and writing.
- Analyzes current grant management systems and process, identifies enhancements for improvement, streamlines and evaluates systems/process effectiveness. System design must support content development, application delivery, and reporting timelines.
- Manages EMCN's government and foundation grant systems and coordinates its proposal monitoring and reporting process.
- Researches, evaluates, engages conversation with colleagues and collaborates, to identify potential funding sources to fit identified needs of EMCN and maintain a proposal pipeline.
- Lead, convene and coordinate teams of internal content experts who will contribute to and inform the proposal, ensure assignments and accountabilities and deadlines for deliverables are clear and met. This includes managing workflows so program and administrative staff have adequate time to deliver on their contributions within the established timelines.
- Lead the story boarding process of proposal development with program staff to ensure the proposed work aligns with EMCN vision, mission and priorities.
- Accountable for the proposals and reports to funders by certifying alignment between proposal content and funders’ financial, administrative, and programmatic guidelines. Identifies any external relations opportunities to strengthen the applications’ likelihoods for success. Edits and proofreads to ensure consistency of writing style, and works within both the organization's and funder's budget parameters.
- Collect and maintain data and records to ensure efficient workflows and validated information. Contribute to establishment and management of knowledge management systems to document, store, and efficiently use examples of past project experience for proposal design.
- Promote a culture and practice of storytelling and evaluation at EMCN by ensuring client and participant stories are collected by frontline staff and program evaluations are an ongoing priority for supervisors, so that both stories and data are included in grant proposal and budgets. Collaborates and supports the Research and Evaluation Coordinator, ensuring the work of the role is intimately linked to the proposal and reporting needs of the organization.
what it takes
While all backgrounds will be considered, the most helpful history will involve lived experience, knowledge, training and formal education in Human Services, Community Development or related field, strong knowledge of grants and proposal development and writing and non-profits.
A clear Police Information Check must be provided within 30 days of offer. The role may require working non-traditional hours, including evenings and weekends.
attributes, characteristics and competencies
- Experience supporting new program initiatives and a managing successful proposal development processes
- Exemplary writing skills, specifically in English and the ability to interpret and present information/data in innovative, visually appealing, and impactful ways
- Familiarity with federal and provincial government ministries, foundation donors, government and non-governmental organizations and other human services agencies
- Knowledge of proposal requirements and submission processes of funders
- Excellent project management skills and time mastery
- A great team player who contributes as much as possible, is self-aware, curious analytical and creative , committed to continuous personal improvement, shows integrity, intelligence and perseverance
- The ability to embrace change and re-imagine and re-design processes to adapt to under changing conditions
- Intrinsically motivated: you gain satisfaction and enjoyment from what you do, whether working with others or independently
- Enjoys working in a diverse team and appreciates opposing and expanded perspectives and experiences
- Appreciation, understanding and commitment to EMCN’s mission, vision and values of responsibility, diversity, compassion and social justice
- Active participation in team meetings and collaborations to move forward agency-wide initiatives
- Ability to achieve, maintain and exemplify good self-care
- Microsoft Suite savvy (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and adept at learning and working with new technology, software and databases
EMCN is committed to Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in our workplace. We demonstrate that commitment by engaging employees, candidates and partners to continuously identify ways to enhance their experiences throughout and coming into the organization. We invest in inclusive strategies like talent development, inclusive leadership, performance development, and strategies to attract diverse talent, and retain the top talent from all walks of life. We intentionally hire people from different backgrounds, histories and experiences and focus on intelligence, diligence, talent and merit and believe representation caste, creed, colour, orientation, identity, origin and beliefs make EMCN a wonderful, high performing, rewarding and unique place to work.