HOUSING & HEALTH NURSE:
$40.45 - $51.29 (Hourly, Nurse 7)
The Housing & Health Nurse is responsible for providing assessment and consultative services for applicants and tenants with complex social and health care needs and/or behavioural problems. He/she/they provide training programs and critical event stress management defusing services; and liaise with regional and community health authorities, non-profit housing societies and co-operative housing groups. Housing & Health Nurse (HHN) currently registered as RN or RPN or both may provide direct service delivery to clients participating in BC Housing Programs and provide clinical oversight to other Housing and Health Services staff.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Degree from a recognized program for Registered or Psychiatric Nurses
- Eligible to practice nursing in the Province of British Columbia as a Registered Nurse (RN) or Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN)
- Extensive experience working with persons with psychiatric disorders and complex social and/or health care needs and/or behavioural issues in a community setting
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer
- Maintain current registration with British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse
- Criminal Record Check required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of signs and symptoms of common medical conditions
- Considerable working knowledge of medications usually prescribed for common medical conditions
- Considerable knowledge of the signs and symptoms of common psychiatric disorders
- Considerable working knowledge of the use of psychotropic medications including contraindications, precautions, adverse effects and usual dosage and route of administration.
- Considerable knowledge of non-pharmaceutical treatment options for the treatment of psychiatric disorders
- Considerable knowledge and skills in psychosocial rehabilitation principles
- Considerable knowledge of the different types of mental health and/or addiction housing models
- Sound knowledge of substance abuse and the different types of treatment programs for substance abuse
- Sound knowledge of the role of community health resources and other social services
- Ability to provide consultation services, crisis intervention and initiate/coordinate referrals to external agencies for services
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to prepare assessment and consultation reports within established time frames
- Ability to independently plan, organize, and adapt to a changing workload
- Ability to establish workload priorities
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to work with a diverse population from various socioeconomic backgrounds
- Ability to deliver training programs
- Ability to provide critical event stress management defusing services to individuals following a traumatic event
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to develop positive working relationships with other agencies and service providers
- Excellent assessment and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Requires travel and working periodic evenings. For positions outside of the Lower Mainland, extensive travel required.
- Valid BC Driver’s License and a reliable vehicle in order to respond to emergency and time-sensitive situations
As part of our commitment to maintaining safe and healthy spaces, BC Housing has introduced an interim mandatory vaccination program for all employees. We require proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Individuals who cannot be vaccinated for reasons related to a protected ground under human rights law (such as medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs) may request an accommodation. Upon receiving a request, we may request additional information to determine whether the applicant can be accommodated in the desired role without undue hardship.
- Due to the nature of this role, a valid class 5 driver's license and satisfactory driving record is required.
- Due to the nature of this role, access to a reliable vehicle will be required