North Shore ConneXions Society is a non-profit organization that supports adults with intellectual disabilities. We offer residential services, day programs, employment supports, and recreation and education opportunities. Our teams are skilled at finding creative and motivating ways to engage our clients in all aspects of their lives.
We are currently recruiting for the position of Part-Time Community Living Counsellor to work within ConneXions recreation and education facility called The Summit. The Summit is a reputable program that provides fun, interactive and client-centred services to people all across the lower mainland.
Goals and Responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Community Living Counsellor will focus broadly on virtually engaging participants with social, recreational, and educational connections.
- The Community Living Counsellor will also assist in the day-to-day responsibilities of online registration, film and video recording, developing social media content, and creating and editing virtual content.
- The successful candidate will work within a variety of community-based settings to ensure that individuals with intellectual disabilities have the opportunity to live active fulfilling lives.
- Research appropriate recreational opportunities and supports that are offered within the community for adults with disabilities.
- Works as part of a team to design, implement and facilitate in-person and virtual programs offered through The Summit,
and to ensure program participants are involved in meaningful ways while ensuring a safe supportive environment.
- Acts as a positive role model for community members, coworkers and supported individuals.
- Coaches and instructs individuals to establish and maintain a healthy lifestyle and environment.
- General administration, report writing, record keeping, and accountability of funds.
- See Job Description for a more complete list of responsibilities
Requirements of the Position:
- Certificate in human services or related field (equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered).
- Minimum of six months of relevant experience in a similar environment.
- Experience with challenging behaviours, mental health concerns and Nonviolent Crisis Intervention techniques.
- Ability to function efficiently under pressure and manage multiple concurrent demands.
- Criminal record check, Valid First Aid and Crisis Intervention (NCI) certification, Medical Approval, TB Clearance, satisfactory Reference Checks, suitable Driver's Abstract and Class 4 Unrestricted BC driver’s license (or ability/willingness to obtain)
Monday to Friday 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Total hours: 30 per week
** Please note this position requires a flexible schedule (possibility of evening/weekend work) to meet client support needs.
Only candidates that apply with a cover letter and resume will be considered.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. North Shore ConneXions Society is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, or disability.