This position acts as subject matter expert to advise on and investigate new digital technologies, social media tools, trends, and applications. This position designs, produces, directs and/or scripts media-based content to support strategies and projects for the unit, and oversees the official social media accounts, including planning, developing, editing, scheduling and posting content. This position builds user engagement on official accounts, and monitors presence across social media channels. This position also serves on the crisis management team, and advises, posts to and monitors social media channels during emergency situations.
The schedule for this position requires the incumbent to work variable hours on a regular basis, including evenings and weekends. In addition, travel is an inherent part of the position. This position is subject to the Averaging and Travel Time Credit provisions of the USW Local 2010 Collective Agreement.
What you will do
- Acts as subject matter expert to advise on and investigate new digital technologies, social media tools, trends, and applications.
- Designs, produces, directs and/or scripts media-based content to support strategies and projects for the unit.
- Oversees the official social media accounts, including planning, developing, editing, scheduling and posting content.
- Builds user engagement on official accounts, and monitors presence across social media channels.
- Serves on the crisis management team. Advises, posts to and monitors social media channels during emergency situations.
- Collaborates on issues management and public relations efforts.
- Measures and reports on engagement and other metrics for social platforms, leverages data to recommend improvements.
- Other duties as required in support of the department and/or unit.
- Four-Year Bachelor Degree or equivalent. In addition, requires trade certification, qualification, or on-going learning to remain ahead of changes in technology or emerging fields.
- More than 3 years and up to and including 5 years of experience.
- Experience in writing, interviewing, reviewing, editing and/or proofreading internal and/or external communications and documents considered an asset (e.g., social media, policy manuals, newsletters, handbooks, legal documents, forms/templates, blogs, training/reference materials, technical documents, webinars, etc.).
- Experience in managing/developing strategic communication plans considered an asset.
- Experience in planning and/or managing projects considered an asset.
Required Licenses and Certifications
- G Driver's Licence required.
- Valid Passport with no travel restrictions is required.
Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Job Knowledge and Requirements
- Knowledge of concepts and principles in a specialist field that is typically acquired through a combination of advanced professional or academic qualifications and/or substantial work experience.
- Provide effective consultation and advice on non-straightforward and/or complex issues.
- Interaction with others requires interpersonal skills and the ability to understand and influence.
- Adapt messages to meet the different needs of different audiences.
- Builds relationships, trust and credibility.
- Prioritize and distribute work to deliver objectives on time and to the highest standard.
- Identify in advance when the intended results may not be achieved and develops a plan to address the gaps.
- Actively participate in project team meetings and develop individual and unit project plans.
- Lead procedural or technological change within a unit.
- Identify opportunities to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of work processes.
- Seek information and input to fully understand the cause of problems.
- Appropriately assesses risks before making a decision.
- Contribute to the creation and evaluation of possible solutions.
- Take action to remove obstacles and address problems before the impact performance and results.
- Apply equity, diversity, accessibility, inclusion and Indigenization considerations to decision making and planning.
- Promote a work environment that is free from sexual violence, harassment and discrimination, and the ability to show empathy for those who have experienced trauma.