Pilgrims Hospice Society (PHS) is a registered charity that provides supportive and compassionate family-centered care to enhance the quality and dignity of life for those diagnosed with a progressive, life-limiting illness as well as support to those who are grieving the death of a loved one, from any cause.
The Housekeeping Aide ensures a clean, sanitary and safe home-like environment, within an interdisciplinary, resident-focused team, consistent with the Mission and philosophy of PHS.
This is a casual position with no guaranteed hours. Shifts will primarily be from 700am-315pm to fill sick calls, vacations, etc. There may be the opportunity to have more regular hours in the future.
- Performs the responsibilities of the position within the legislative and regulatory standards set out in the applicable Provincial and Municipal Acts, AHS Standards and Alberta Health.
- Performs housekeeping duties, preventative cleaning tasks and assigned custodial duties in all areas of the facility ensuring the facility environment meets the physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs of each resident and family.
- Utilizes professional communication to establish working relationships with each resident and family and with coworkers for the purpose of meeting the resident’s needs, ensuring respect, dignity and individuality of each resident and staff member.
- Adheres to daily, weekly and monthly cleaning checklists, workplace policies, audit sheets and routines.
- Performs duties including but not limited to floor maintenance programs, deep cleaning programs, carbolizing, waste management, and transportation of clean and soiled linens.
- Participates with multidisciplinary team in formulating, reporting, and delivering the resident’s daily personal care needs and individual preferences.
- Delivers effective and efficient services that reflect the promotion of resident choice that acknowledges the resident’s strengths and limitations as well as their need for safety and the safety of other residents, visitors and staff.
- Ensures daily, the neatness and cleanliness of resident rooms and common areas including but not limited to furniture, clothes closets, mobility devices, tub/shower areas and utility rooms.
- Demonstrates initiative to meet resident needs consistent with the team approach by
- The use of supplies in a cost-effective manner as per product guidelines
- Waste control
- Offering suggestions regarding resource allocation
- Reporting abnormal use of supplies to the supervisor
- Establishes and maintains good team relationships, as well as interdepartmental relationships by assisting the interdisciplinary team to ensure the needs of each resident are met.
- Creates a facility environment that protects confidentiality and privacy of residents, staff and the activities of the PHS.
- Protects own health and the health of others by adopting safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately, and attending all relevant education sessions and in-services regarding occupational health and safety. Follows all guidelines for employees and employers as legislated under the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Grade 12 Graduate or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Physically capable of performing all assigned duties within a flexible work schedule required for a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week operation.
- Experience in a Hospice setting is an asset.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge and experience of housekeeping operations and equipment is an asset.
- Ability to work as a team member and to request and accept direction as required.
- Current WHMIS knowledge required.
- Fluency in the English language required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and personal initiative.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Demonstrated regular attendance standards in keeping with the needs of PHS.
- Knowledge of cleaning chemicals and processes
- Ability to operate floor maintenance equipment
- Politically and culturally sensitive, with a strong moral and ethical code
Mandatory Employment Requirements: Successful candidates will be required to provide a current satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check prior to first day of employment.