Senior Associate, Indigenous Community Programming – BC Program, Full Time (37.5 hrs/week), Permanent
Location: Flexible, British Columbia (remote or office-based)
MakeWay builds partnerships and solutions that help nature and communities thrive together. Our people, projects, and partners are located across the country. The Senior Associate is part of a team of regional and Indigenous staff that help lead MakeWay’s BC Program, which is focused on: healthy lands, water, and climate; Indigenous authority, language, and cultural resurgence; food sovereignty; sustainable livelihoods, and community leadership.
We are looking for a new team member who is passionate about community-led change and collaboration to help design and deliver funding and programming that supports Indigenous community visions. The Senior Associate is a new role in our BC team and will help design and facilitate pathways for supporting community-led work, with a focus on Indigenous cultural revitalization, food sovereignty, and leadership development. This position will also make grants, and help maintain relationships with funders, communities, Indigenous and public governments, and other partners.
What You’ll Do:
Program Development and Management
- Design and help implement community-oriented funding programs across the BC Program, with a particular focus on supporting Indigenous cultural revitalization, food sovereignty, leadership, and beyond
- Develop and manage workplans and program goals
- Organize knowledge-sharing events and exchanges
- Support program fundraising and development, in collaboration with Team Lead
Community Relations & Partnerships
- Collaboratively liaise with Indigenous community partners to understand how to best support their land, water, food, culture, and leadership aspirations
- Share learnings with a range of community and funding partners, by supporting community and programmatic storytelling initiatives
- Lead or participate in collaborative networks and learning spaces
- Participate in program team workflow and the advancement of cross-cutting program goals
- Contribute to collective program budgeting
- Support logistical oversight for events (as needed)
- Travel for meetings with program partners (as needed)
- Contribute to program communications materials
Who You Are:
- People-person: You’re a natural relationship builder who can establish connections in communities and build trusting partnerships, especially with Indigenous communities.
- Community-minded: You love working with (and being in) community and are passionate about activating community-led change
- Great Communicator: You can translate complex information into clear and simple language. You are helpful and friendly on the phone, Zoom, and emails, and have clear writing and strong speaking skills responsive to diverse people.
- Reliable Team member: You are self-motivated and comfortable working in-person and virtually with colleagues across Canada.
- Adaptable: You can juggle priorities and deliver on multiple assignments while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Independent: You take initiative, manage your workload, and use the resources at hand. You are self-motivated and are confident working independently, but feel comfortable drawing on your team when you need support.
Experience You Bring:
- Experience advancing Indigenous cultural, stewardship, food, and/or leadership work
- Experience working and building strong relationships with Indigenous and rural communities in the BC region
- Alignment with the goals and values of MakeWay and our wider community of partners
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work with diverse partners towards shared (un)learning
- Experience working across diverse teams
It would be a bonus if you have:
- Familiarity working with funders or in the non-profit/charitable sector
- Strong computer skills, with a proficiency in Microsoft office applications
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to enable community-led impact in B.C.
- Full time annual salary of $72,492-$88,250 (dependent on experience you bring)
- Competitive benefits package including health, dental, and an annual RRSP contribution
- An active Indigenous Employees Network
- Three weeks’ vacation plus statutory holidays and an annual winter holiday break. MakeWay has implemented a Substitution Statutory Holiday policy, which allows employees the flexibility to substitute another day for a statutory holiday.
- Flexible, diverse, and engaging work environment
- Committed colleagues and fun team
- High level of responsibility and autonomy
- Opportunities and support for professional learning and growth
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter please share what makes you an ideal fit for this position and why you want to join the MakeWay Team.
MakeWay is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace community and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the selection process, please contact us.
Only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No recruiters please!