Position: Dental Receptionist
REACH Dental Clinic is committed to providing a comprehensive range of oral care services of the highest quality to all its patients. We strive to educate all our patients who receive treatment at our clinic. Our goal is to deliver excellent service in a friendly and welcoming environment to each and every patient who comes through our doors.
REACH Dental Clinic has been a leader in the field of dentistry since 1969 and remains committed to social responsibility. We are a social enterprise and receive no government funding. Thus, we rely on fees and private financial donations to do the work we do.
The Dental Receptionist is accountable to the Dental Manager. The dental receptionist is responsible for the smooth operation of the reception area. Duties include booking appointments, answering phones, collecting payments, confirming insurance coverage, maintaining and balancing cash records, receiving and providing information to patients and the public and providing secretarial support to the dental clinic, and ensuring that duties of the reception staff are being completed.
- Is responsible for the reception area and ensures the patients receive the recommended and approved dental care and personal attention in a timely professional manner.
- Answers incoming calls, fills the schedule for clinical providers, takes and relays messages, gives information about referrals and books appointments for referrals as needed.
- Creates proper documentation, adding a signature to interactions with patients to facilitate proper follow up among staff and always signs their name after any notes.
- Schedules appointments, and follow up appointments in accordance with the dental clinics reception manual. Fills cancellations and no show openings.
- Calls patients to confirm the following day’s appointments.
- Advise clients if and when account balances need to be settled.
- Ensures that all appropriate forms are completed prior to client receiving service. Scans and attaches forms to electronic dental charts.
- Manages and maintains the recall system, including ensures pending appointments are confirmed, recalling dormant accounts, and completing chart audit files on all clients.
- Maintains and keeps current all dental records and the dental filing system in a prescribe manner and in accordance with CDSBC and BCDA standards.
- Ensures and protects client confidentiality by keeping information and dental records secure at all times.
- Updates patient information such as address and phone numbers, records ‘no shows’.
- Receives payments for dental services; records and balances cash and receipts daily for daily report.
- Generate report for month end reconciliation.
- Determines and confirms insurance coverage, checks coverage for following day, including pre authorizations, explains costs and insurability to patients and assists with billing.
- Requests signed insurance forms
- Performs clerical and typing duties, provides secretarial support to the providers and Dental Manager, including faxing, referrals, correspondence and minutes.
- Sorts and processes mail for the dental clinic.
- Maintains the reception area in a professional manner that is clean, tidy and free from clutter.
- Assists in the orientation and training of new personnel.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Dental Manager and/or the Dental Receptionist Coordinator.
Contribution to team and centre activities
- Participates actively in staff meetings and board committees.
- Participates in the overall activities of the health centre, e.g. in service training, committees, special events and shared staff responsibilities.
- Communicates clearly, listens accurately, is open to feedback, handles conflict appropriately, and displays sensitivity to others.
- Collaborates well with others, promotes cooperation and teamwork.
- Participates in REACH’s commitment to becoming discrimination free and an inclusive health centre and promotes a healthy lifestyle.
- Maintains the reputation and confidentiality of the health centre and its clients at all times.
- Adheres to all applicable REACH policies and procedures.
- Completion of Dental reception course, receiving a Certificate.
- One year experience as a dental receptionist.
- Familiar with dental software programs and Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse individuals and groups.
- Ability to function and work cooperatively a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills and the ability to multi task in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively in a team
- Ability to speak a second language an asset.