The Zebra Child & Youth Advocacy Centre works to provide a collaborative response to child abuse through intervention, advocacy and providing a continuum of support in a child-friendly environment. We are seeking two Justice Child & Youth Advocates to join our herd. To apply for one of these positions, please send your cover letter and resume via email to Melanie Dziwenka at . Positions will remain open until suitable candidates are found.
Position #1 will typically work 11:00am-7:15pm Mon -Thurs and 9:00am-5:15pm Fri
Position #2 will typically work 11:15am-7:30pm Mon-Thurs and 8:45am-5:00pm Fri
Since 2002, the Zebra Child Protection Centre and our Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) of partners have worked to provide a continuum of support for children and youth who have experienced abuse throughout the entire disclosure, investigative, judicial, and healing process.
The Justice Child & Youth Advocate will report to the Child & Youth Supports Team Lead, and work collaboratively with Zebra Centre staff, volunteers and partners. The successful incumbent will work to ensure the children, youth and families coming through our doors are supported.
The Justice Child & Youth Advocate must understand the Zebra Centre’s work as a Child & Youth Advocacy Centre, as well as commit to our mission to serve children and youth who have experienced abuse, supporting them through the investigative, justice and healing process with a continuum of multi-disciplinary resources. Primary responsibilities include:
• Timely communications with families to provide updates and supports via telephone and email
• Hosting and interacting with children, youth and families within the Centre, building rapport and ensuring appropriate supports are provided
• Delivering the Zebra Centre court preparation program and on occasion, accompanying children and youth in court
• Completing administrative tasks including supporting file flow; maintaining and communicating detailed records of supports, meetings and court dates; providing reminders of meetings to caregivers and other ad hoc tasks as they arise
• Participating as a collaborative member of the Child & Youth Supports Team and the broader Zebra Centre Team
The Justice Child & Youth Advocate will possess the following qualifications and skills:
• Enrolled in a program or completed a program within the social sciences, social work, child and youth care, or related field, or two years equivalent experience.
• Sound knowledge of child development, trauma informed practices, and the judicial system.
• Prior victim services/advocacy experience is an asset.
• Flexibility and ability to adapt quickly to change and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Commitment to maintain confidentiality and carefully manage sensitive information.
• Strong self-awareness and boundaries supported by established personal wellness practices.
• Strong proficiency with computer systems.
• A self-starter who is curious, willing to accept direction and feedback.
• Ability to work independently with strong time-management and organizational skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. The incumbent must demonstrate the ability to communicate clearly and concisely and maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to work collaboratively with all members of the organization.
• Ability to work with children, youth and families in stressful situations.
• Awareness and commitment to diversity and inclusion
• Successful passing and maintenance of an Edmonton Police Service Enhanced Security Clearance and a Children’s Services Vulnerable Sector Check.
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to a comprehensive health, dental and life benefits package, the Zebra Child & Youth Advocacy Centre offers underground heated parking, three weeks’ annual vacation, two additional wellness days per year as well as participation in the employee Wellness Fund. The wage for this full-time position is $23/hour, and the regular schedule will be 36.25 hours per week. Occasional weekend support may arise, as needed. This position is based in the Zebra Centre, located in downtown Edmonton. Please note, we work with accredited facility dogs on-site.
The Zebra Child & Youth Advocacy Centre is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building a diverse and accessible facility. We strongly encourage all qualified applicants to apply. Please note that due to a high volume of interested applicants, only successful candidates will be contacted.
Zebra Child & Youth Advocacy Centre
7 Flr, 10909 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, AB T5J 3L9
Zebracentre.ca Registered Charity #88146 1818 RR0001
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!