Term | Permanent Full-Time or Part-Time
Rate | $32 - $40 / hour + benefits
Start Date | Flexible
Workplace | Remote
Salal Foundation’s mission is to research, test, and scale innovative strategies that nurture transparency, citizen engagement, democracy, and communities living within natural limits. We maximize our effectiveness by supporting organizations and leaders to advance innovative strategic solutions in our priority areas.
About the Role
We seek a creative, organized, proactive, and motivated Communications Manager to join our fast growing communications team to lead multiple Salal and partner communications projects and campaigns across Canada. You have worked in, and ideally run, small teams creating content for publication. You will manage day-to-day efforts of the communications team and work on teams to develop, implement, and evaluate projects. The ideal candidate is curious, creative, has a passion for storytelling, seeks to understand audiences, is experimental, and is keen to stay current on the latest communications strategies, tactics, and technologies.
If you are looking for a more junior comms role where you won’t manage others’ activities, we are also hiring a Communications Specialist.
- Work from anywhere at just about any time - some availability weekdays Pacific Time is needed for team syncs;
- Health and wellness benefits, including health insurance, after probationary period (3-6 months);
- 4 weeks annual vacation after probationary period;
- Support for telecommunications expenses and essential home office hardware.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of communications and engagement strategies and tactics for multiple unrelated projects and partners;
- Manage day-to-day activities of communications team, with support from others. This includes weekly check-ins, project planning, providing task guidance / feedback;
- Collaborate with project teams to plan, project manage and successfully deliver key projects, materials and partnerships;
- Support projects, including monitor, track, evaluate, and optimize performance;
- Create, curate, and copy-edit written and visual content for publication, e.g. for social media, websites, presentations, emails;
- Support development of websites, including strategy, design, and content;
- Storytell by taking a wide range of topics and weaving narratives that engage and persuade;
- Analyze web and social media analytics to produce insights and reports to inform strategies and content creation;
- Facilitate online conversations, such as post comments management and DM replies;
- Manage digital ads, including custom targeting;
- Set project benchmarks and goals to track progress and growth;
- Co-develop your learning plan.
You might not (yet) bring all the skills we’re looking for, and that’s okay. As a growing team, there is room for specialization as well as growing into new roles. Beyond your skills we are also interested in mission alignment, and that you are curious and always learning.
- A desire to help effect change for our collective future on this planet; aligned with Salal Foundation’s mission;
- Able to work collaboratively with a small virtual team and independently with a combo of synchronous and asynchronous collaboration streams e.g. Zoom / Google Meet, phone, messaging, email, project management apps;
- Effective code switcher - can develop and work on multiple unrelated projects with different brand, voice, audiences, and channels;
- Curious and observant, seeking to understand, always learning;
- Self-starter demonstrating a strong capacity to work independently and collaboratively on a variety of projects;
- Comfortable taking risks, working in an innovative environment where trying new things is encouraged;
- Organized and efficient multi-tasker with great attention to detail and problem-solving skills. Able to work on multiple projects, often with different skills and timeline requirements, and effectively prioritize activities;
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities. Able to think and act in a strategic manner;
- Some availability during regular work hours, i.e. Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm Eastern Time;
- Your own work space, computer, and internet connection.
- Great communicator with excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a strong creative streak;
- Experience creating compelling, engaging digital content. Can deliver content from concept to publication;
- Experience in social media community management;
- Experience in video production, e.g. video editing, script development;
- Experience in web design, e.g. using a site page builder, CSS tweaks;
- Interest in current events, issues, and politics. You don’t have to be an avid follower of the political horse race or read lots of newspapers;
- Interest / experience in transmedia storytelling.
- Experience with content management on social apps, e.g. Twitter, TikTok, Facebook, Instagram;
- Experience with graphic design, e.g. Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, Canva;
- Experience with Content Management Systems, e.g. WordPress.
- Proactive communication on activities such as status updates using methods such as Asana task comments, team chat message, calls, etc;
- Track time on tasks with a time tracking app.
- Campaigning interest / experience;
- Fluent in another language;
- GIS / digital mapping skills;
- Analytics for websites and social media experience;
- CRMs experience;
- SEO and / or SEM experience.
Equal employment opportunity
At Salal, we recognize the importance of our staff reflecting the communities our work aims to benefit. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We strongly encourage candidates who are Black, Indigenous, people of colour, women, LGBTQ2I, immigrants, people with disabilities, and people from low-income and working class backgrounds and / or with lived experiences of poverty to apply. We recognize that this is neither exhaustive nor representative of the intersectionality present within each individual. Salal believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of those we serve.