Job Title: Camp Hope Programs Manager
Based at: Camp Hope (241108 HWY 22, Rocky View)
Reports to: Summer Camps Manager
Hours of work: 40 hours a week Sept-April, during camp season May-August hours can run longer and evening/weekend work is required
Salary: $3700/month first 3 months, increasing $4000/month after probation. Housing Benefit included
Start date: Immediate
Status: Full time
To serve, strengthen and uplift men, women, youth and children through the life-changing gospel of Jesus Christ
The Camp Hope Manager will provide leadership to the ministry and mission of Camp Hope in alignment with the Vision, Mission, Core Values, and Statement of Faith of Hope Mission.
The Camp Hope Manager provides leadership and support to a team of approximately 25 summer staff and is responsible for the planning and implementation of summer camp programing working closely with the Summer Camps Manager. The Programs Manager works alongside many supporting departments within Hope Mission to ensure the logistics of camp are coordinated and implemented. This includes human resources, finance, facilities & maintenance, community engagement, and the preventative programs team. Strong teamwork and collaboration skills are an asset.
During off season your role will include staff recruitment, program development, supporting volunteer groups, hosting user groups, and serving in Calgary with the ministry team at the Hub in Calgary.
- Leadership: Able to provide spiritual direction & care to the Camp Hope summer ministry team
- Passion for and commitment to working with children who face a variety of obstacles and challenges in their lives`
- Communication: Able to communicate and coordinate internally with other departments within Hope Mission as well as externally as a spokesperson for Camp Hope.
- Strategic Planning & Visioning: Excitement for building on the Hope Mission Summer Camps programming foundation, maintaining an emphasis on supportive relationships, personal growth, experiences in nature, and youth leadership development.
- Multi-Tasking: Able to juggle competing needs and prioritize completion of tasks and projects
- Crisis Response: Able to use conflict resolution & de-escalation techniques to manage crisis & conflict situations
- Networking: Able to liaise with partner schools, parents, donors, volunteer groups, local agencies, and community members
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for hiring, and training camp staff and volunteers in collaboration with the Summer Camps Manager and HR department
- Provide ongoing support for staff and volunteers through training, debriefing, prayer, Bible studies, staff meetings, performance appraisals, evaluation, and feedback
- Fosters a compassionate, strength based, and Christ-centered environment for the staff, campers, and families we serve
- Responsible for ongoing program development (with a strong emphasis on nature and wilderness activities), implementation, and evaluation
- Maintains a current and accurate knowledge of support resources and agencies available to children, youth, and families
- Maintains accurate documentation, reporting, and filing of critical incidents involving campers
- Develops a yearly program calendar in collaboration with Summer Camps Manager
- Maintains and implements Hope Mission policies and procedures to ensure safety of campers and staff
- Coordinates with Hope Mission’s Facilities and Maintenance Manager and the Maintenance Assistants team to ensure the upkeep of Camp Hope facilities and property maintaining a safe and clean working environment
- Coordinates program supply orders with the Purchasing facilitator.
- Coordinates camp menu requests with the Calgary Program Manager.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with schools, community partners, donors, volunteers, and other support networks
- Ensures accurate statistics and reports are gathered for programs, events, and grants as needed
- Completes monthly reports for Hope Mission leadership.
- Ongoing communication with the Summer Camps Manager (weekly reports, phone calls, emails, meetings, etc)
Minimum Qualifications and Skills:
- Spiritual maturity and a growing relationship with Christ
- Camp Ministry and Leadership Experience (3-5 years)
- Experience working with underprivileged children and families
- Wilderness Outdoor Recreation experience
- Management experience
- Self-Starter, Team Player, Flexible: Able to manage competing priorities and multiple activities, events, and situations. Works well under pressure.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Superior listening skills
- Excellent Organizational skills
- Education: Completion of post-secondary degree. Degree in Ministry an asset. Relevant experience will be considered.
- Physical Fitness: Able to run, hike, and lift.
- Motivated and have the ability to work well independently and within a team.
- Ability to work well under time pressure.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to perform critical analysis.
- Being a Christian Organization we require our employees to be in agreement and sign the Hope Mission Statement of Faith. (http://hopemission.com/about-us/values/)
- A letter of reference from a ministry or church is an asset
- Flexibility to work irregular and extended hours as required
- Class 5 Drivers license
- Ability to travel to represent and promote Hope Mission Summer Camps.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada on a full-time basis.
- Able to provide Criminal Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search and a Child Intervention Record Check.
- Adherence to Hope Mission’s Policies and Procedures.