Policy & Research Specialist – Full Time, Permanent
Location in Canada (flexible)
Are you looking to apply your research and analytical skills to supporting transformative change for nature and communities to thrive together?
MakeWay is looking for a Policy & Research Specialist to provide research and administrative support to help us advance our plans and mission.
MakeWay builds partnerships and solutions to help nature and communities thrive together. We are made up of two legal charitable entities: MakeWay Charitable Society, a shared platform home to over 65+ innovative community-led projects staffed by 170+ change makers; and MakeWay Foundation where about 75 people are advancing place-based programs that support Indigenous-led solutions and conservation in the North, Pacific, Manitoba, and beyond via grant-making, funder collaboratives and other tools. Our people, projects, and partners are based across the country.
The Specialist will be joining MakeWay at an exciting time as we move forward with our new strategic plan, comprised of seven priorities, to support transformative change for nature and communities to thrive together. The Specialist will work to support the Policy and Research Director on advancing federal, provincial, and territory policy change on all seven organizational priority areas. The Specialist will be responsible for coordinating and supporting the research, analysis, and evaluation in support of these seven priorities within MakeWay.
If our values align with yours and you want to learn, grow, and develop within a supportive team that shares knowledge and cares, then we want to hear from you! Join us and make a difference.
Seven Strategic Priority Areas
- Healthy Lands and Waters
- Bold Inclusive Leadership for Healing and Justice
- Indigenous Authority, Language and Cultural Resurgence
- Shared Wealth and Economic wellbeing
- Transformed and Indigenous Food Systems
- Fair Earth Living and Climate Action
- An Equitable Charitable Sector Working for Planet and People
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and conduct detailed research into subjects relevant to our seven priority areas
- Create internal and external research materials including reports, literature reviews, sector scans, and policy briefs
- Work in collaboration with other teams within MakeWay to identify policy and research needs
- Track and catalogue policy and research activities across the organization
- Monitor sector, academia, and government communications for items relevant to MakeWay’s policy and research
- Oversee and project manage various Policy & Research based initiatives across MakeWay
- Coordinate, facilitate, and minute take at meetings and working groups on policy related activities
- Assist with administrative duties related to the Policy & Research team as required
Who You Are:
- Analytical thinker: You synthesize information from a variety of sources to find solutions.
- Collaborative team member: You are able to balance autonomy and collaboration. You are self-motivated working alone and comfortable working virtually with colleagues within various teams across Canada.
- Effective communicator: You are able to clearly translate research findings for diverse audiences internally and external to MakeWay. You have strong writing skills, particularly around policy and can write clear and compelling reports.
- Extremely organized: You have an ability to anticipate, plan, and deliver exceptional support in a timely and cohesive manner.
- Detail-oriented individual: You excel at tasks that require a high level of precision while still maintaining a balanced high-level view of an assignment.
- Adaptive: You can manage and prioritize incoming requests and juggle conflicting priorities.
Experience You Bring:
- Alignment with the goals and values of MakeWay
- Knowledge of current public policy
- Experience with policy research methodologies
- Experience conducting qualitative and / or quantitative research.
- Demonstrated project management skills
- High proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
It Would be a Bonus if You Have:
- Previous experience in a research role within a non-profit or government environment
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have a real impact on the community
- Full time annual salary of $60,410 – $66,713 (dependent on experience you bring)
- Competitive benefits package including generous RRSP contribution
- Three weeks’ vacation plus statutory holidays. MakeWay has implemented a Substitution Statutory Holiday policy which allows employees the flexibility to substitute another day for a statutory holiday. In addition, the MakeWay office is closed annually for a winter holiday break.
- Flexible work environment with remote working
- Committed colleagues
- High level of responsibility and autonomy
- Opportunities and support for professional learning and growth
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter please share what makes you an ideal fit for this position and why you want to join the MakeWay Team.
MakeWay is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace community and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the selection process, please contact us.
Only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No recruiters please!